Help deciding bass trap sizes and density

How to use REW, What is a Bass Trap, a diffuser, the speed of sound, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

crystaldrone

Help deciding bass trap sizes and density

Post by crystaldrone »

Hello all,

After going through a lot of expert advise and reading articles here and of course the available material, this is what I have decided for treating my room -

1. Broadband Panels for early reflection, rear wall and where ever need - 64kg/m3 rockwool, 4" thick with a 2" airgap.
2. Superchunk style triangular bass trap for the corners - 48kg/m3 rockwool, 28" face and 20" sides.

Since these are the only two rockwool slabs densities I can source locally, with no GFR values and easy on the pocket, can anyone suggest wether the dimensions are looking good or not according to the densities?

Someone suggested a much lower density for the superchunks, which makes me wonder if I should forget the superchunks and just make more of those broadband panels with 64kg/m3 rockwool to straddle the corners? Or make 6" panels for the corners with the 48kg/m3 rockwool?

Can someone help me decide better? Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you!
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Re: Help deciding bass trap sizes and density

Post by Soundman2020 »

Hi there "crystaldrone", and Welcome!
Can someone help me decide better? Any help will be appreciated.
You don't give us much to go on! That's sort of like saying: "I have decided to use half a kilogram of flour, with 2 spoons of baking soda, and either two or six ripe lemons, and I think I'll use an oven set on 220 degrees, or maybe 180 degrees sometimes, as that's the only temperature I can select on my oven... Can someone help me decide better? Any help will be appreciated." :) But you didn't tell us anything about what you are trying to cook, or how many people you are cooking it for!

In other words, we'd need the complete information about your studio to be able to help you: Size, purpose, construction details, existing treatment, equipment, layout, etc. Is this a high end pro studio, or a bedroom studio? A project studio? A home studio? Is this a control room, or a live room, or an isolation booth, or a vocal booth, or all of them together in a full facility? Is your budget $200,000 or $2,000? Is your room the size of an aircraft hanger, or the size of a shoebox? Without complete info, there's not much advice that anyone can give you.

- Stuart -