Which cables to throw down a control -> live room pipe?

What is three phase electrics? how do I wire a patchbay? ask all your techo questions here.

Moderator: Aaronw

danielpate

Which cables to throw down a control -> live room pipe?

Post by danielpate »

Hi all
I've just had a hole between the control/live room drilled, and have put down a multicore with XLR and jack connections. Before it's all sealed back up (never to be opened again!) can you think of any more cables I should put in (ie. may be useful to have at some point in the future)? I'm going to put a USB lead down too... any other suggestions?

Thanks a lot
Dan
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Re: Which cables to throw down a control -> live room pipe?

Post by Soundman2020 »

danielpate wrote:Hi all
I've just had a hole between the control/live room drilled, and have put down a multicore with XLR and jack connections. Before it's all sealed back up (never to be opened again!) can you think of any more cables I should put in (ie. may be useful to have at some point in the future)? I'm going to put a USB lead down too... any other suggestions?

Thanks a lot
Dan
Run several CAT 5 or CAT 6 cables, for sure! Also maybe some ordinary telephone cable, if you need a hard-wired land-line, or doorbell, or alarm, or CCTV security system (some can run over phone wire, or other forms of UTP). Also consider things like intercom, cable TV, and run at least one empty conduit alongside the conduit you already put in there, in case you think of something else you need in the future. But mostly CAT-5 or CAT-6, as pretty much everything can be run over Ethernet these days. So run a bunch of those.

Also, be careful with USB: there are distance limits on that. For long runs, it's better to use converters and CAT-6.

Maybe also VGA if you still have monitors that need that, or HDMI (also beware of distance limits).

- Stuart -