Superchunk shelf?

How to use REW, What is a Bass Trap, a diffuser, the speed of sound, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

swimtwobirds

Superchunk shelf?

Post by swimtwobirds »

I'm building some framed superchunks for front corners of my control room out of pink fluffy with a wood frame, and plywood tops and bottoms.

To avoid the problem of the insulation settling/smushing down, I was going to build 2 units for each corner (a total of four), each half the height of the room, to be stacked one on top of the other. (A bonus is that they would be portable if ever we change our configuration).

But now I'm wondering whether the plywood interrupting the superchunk at the midpoint between the ceiling and the floor would interfere with the functionality of the bass absorption. Any thoughts?
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Re: Superchunk shelf?

Post by Soundman2020 »

But now I'm wondering whether the plywood interrupting the superchunk at the midpoint between the ceiling and the floor would interfere with the functionality of the bass absorption. Any thoughts?
No problem. The effect is minimal, and might even be beneficial under some circumstances. But if you are worried about that, then make your shelves from something like chicken wire, or another form of strong mesh.

- Stuart -