*Treatment stage* Fen Cabin Studio - Build Diary. UK

Discuss studios designed and built by others.

Moderators: Aaronw, John Sayers

Waka

Re: Fen Cabin Studio - Build Diary. UK

Post by Waka »

More silencer pics.
holes cut.jpg
adding duct lining.jpg
lined.jpg
lid lined-739x988.jpg
lid fitted.jpg
inlet lined.jpg
inlet lid fitted.jpg
spigot caulked.jpg
spigot caulked and screwed.jpg
view in the silencer-1053x739.jpg
Stay up at night reading books on acoustics and studio design, learn Sketchup, bang your head against a wall, redesign your studio 15 times, curse the gods of HVAC silencers and door seals .... or hire a studio designer.
Waka

Post by Waka »

So with silencer one complete I moved onto silencer two this afternoon. It's a mirror of the other one. Progress below.
silencer two progress.jpg
Stay up at night reading books on acoustics and studio design, learn Sketchup, bang your head against a wall, redesign your studio 15 times, curse the gods of HVAC silencers and door seals .... or hire a studio designer.
Waka

Post by Waka »

Ok so with the silencers ready, I got an extra pair of hands to help and we fixed them to the ceiling.
Ducts fitted from the silencers to their respective exit points.
I also installed the rest of the ceiling OSB.
Waka

Post by Waka »

Ceiling first layer complete. Sealing has begun. The job of sealing everything I see has started :lol:
caulking everything.jpg
caulking first layer.jpg
antp

Post by antp »

What's your wall design for this? OSB outer leaf and double-layer plasterboard inner leaf?

Would love to know what your budget and isolation expectations for this build are - may end up doing something similar myself...
Waka

Post by Waka »

Hi sorry for not replying.

Outer leaf is OSB and 1 layer plasterboard between the studs then cladding to face it.

Inner leaf is OSB and 1 layer of plasterboard.

I've calculated 50-55db at 42Hz. Assuming I can seal it well enough and make good enough door seals.

The budget is £10k all in. That is with me doing all the work except from electrical and aircon install.

I seem to be on budget atm, so hopefully will be ok ha!
Gregwor

Post by Gregwor »

Your last real update was a month ago. Any news to share?

Greg
It appears that you've made the mistake most people do. You started building without consulting this forum.
Waka

Post by Waka »

Hi Greg,

Veen a crazy month as I'm changing jobs, so I've had hardly any time this month to do anything.

I decided that I wasn't happy to rely on caulking just inside the outer skin as I had noticed light entering in certain areas of the first layer when the door was closed.

So I cut the membrane on the outside of building where any joints between boards were and I've started caulking them all from the outside. (I had originally not done this as the weather was bad and I needed the membrane on quickly to protect the framing).

Then I've been re-membraning the cuts and screwing my battons to the wall for the cladding.

I'm a bit over halfway through doing this now.

I realise my cladding produces a third leaf. But this was preferred, as I didn't have huge TL requirements and allowed me to do almost the entire job myself. The cladding will be timber and ventilated.

I'm expecting it to not make much of a difference as the cladding's additional mass should account for it being a non-sealed third leaf.

I plan on adding the cladding as the final piece of the build so I can test TL before and after the cladding.

Pics to follow!
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

I'm expecting it to not make much of a difference as the cladding's additional mass should account for it being a non-sealed third leaf.
Adding some extra mass to the "middle" leaf can help to compensate for that 3rd leaf.

- Stuart -
Waka

Post by Waka »

Hi Stuart,

Yeah I understand the middle leaf is the best to add mass to in these situations, but as my requirements aren't large I'm not too worried. I didn't add the mass of the cladding to my calculations in the design so I'm expecting it to even itself out. I am looking forward to taking quality readings before and after installation of the cladding to see what (measurable) difference it has made though!

Dan
Waka

Post by Waka »

Hi Guys,

Not much progress at the moment due to lack of build time, but here's a pic of the outside after caulking, refitting of breather membrane and battening ready for cladding.
outside cropped-1023x692.jpg
I've got a family of bumble bees residing in the ventilated roof void at the moment, so I'm leaving them alone at the moment and will finish cutting the epdm and fitting the facias and soffits later in the build. I'd rather not kill them if I can avoid it.

Dan
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

I've got a family of bumble bees residing in the ventilated roof void at the moment,
:shock: Wow! Hope you can get that lot out without any problems! And clearly you are going to need some good bug screening on your ventilation slots into that area, so they can't make a comeback.

- Stuart -
Waka

Post by Waka »

Soundman2020 wrote::shock: Wow! Hope you can get that lot out without any problems! And clearly you are going to need some good bug screening on your ventilation slots into that area, so they can't make a comeback.

- Stuart -
Yep. I've done some research and this type of bee only lives in colonies of up to 100 bees and can't survive the winter. So they will die off naturally soon enough (After pollinating my garden beautifully :wink: ). If they become a problem I might have to get some spray, but I'm in no rush at the moment.

I'm going to be using a continuous soffit strip for ventilation that is similar to this:
36381_2.jpg
Which has slots too small for bees etc.

Bumble bees are becoming endangered in the UK so I'm keeping them around the best I can.
buttermuffin

Post by buttermuffin »

what happened to this? Was really enjoying this thread
Waka

Post by Waka »

buttermuffin wrote:what happened to this? Was really enjoying this thread
Is still in progress. I've had a few busy months as I'm changing jobs so have been interviewing/doing overtime etc.

The progress has been slow and involved work that is behind the membrane so it doesn't seem like it's moved on.

I had a few hours on it today finishing off the external caulking, and almost finishing the battens for the cladding.

Then the work turns back to the inside, so will see more tangible results over the next few weeks hopefully(TM) :lol:

Dan