*Treatment stage* Fen Cabin Studio - Build Diary. UK

Discuss studios designed and built by others.

Moderators: Aaronw, John Sayers

Soundman2020
Site Admin

Re: Fen Cabin Studio - Build Diary. UK

Post by Soundman2020 »

Cool!

Don't you just LOVE caulking? Isn't it FUN!? 8) :lol:

- Stuart -
Waka

Post by Waka »

Ha! It's getting tedious now. My only solace, is that I don't have to caulk nearly as much on my inner leaf walls, just caulk the OSB layer and then plaster/dry line the plasterboard layer. The inner ceiling is inside out though so I've got quite a bit of caulking to do there, which I'm trying not to think about :lol:
Stay up at night reading books on acoustics and studio design, learn Sketchup, bang your head against a wall, redesign your studio 15 times, curse the gods of HVAC silencers and door seals .... or hire a studio designer.
Waka

Post by Waka »

After two busy weeks at work, I've done some more studio.
I've started putting my cheap fluffy insulation in the outer leaf. I used standard Isover Spacesaver loft roll. About 10kg/m3, I needed 80mm so used 100mm nd compressed it as it's so light. I'm using insulation netting to keep it in place, as it's not self supporting.

I also am checking all of my chalked edges as I go in case any were underfilled. Some had loose powdery plaster board cut edge to seal, so had thin hairline cracks near the surface where it hadn't fully adhered. I'm sure it's fine lower in the joint, but I overcaulked those again before adding the insulation just incase.

I'm going to caulk the inside of the sole plate when I'm finished insulating the walls and have hoovered.
insulation begins.jpg
Last edited by Waka on Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stay up at night reading books on acoustics and studio design, learn Sketchup, bang your head against a wall, redesign your studio 15 times, curse the gods of HVAC silencers and door seals .... or hire a studio designer.
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

needed 80mm so used 100mm nd compressed it as it's so light.
You shouldn't compress insulation! It won't harm the insulation itself, but it can damage your isolation, for two reasons: 1) It changes the acoustic properties of the insulation itself, greatly increasing the GFR, and 2) It can create flanking paths between the leaves: compressed fiberglass can become stiff enough that it can conduct some sound from one side to the other.... 20% compression, as you did, is maaaaybbbbeeee OK, but I'd check to be sure that you didn't cause any problems like that...

- Stuart -
Waka

Post by Waka »

Soundman2020 wrote:
needed 80mm so used 100mm nd compressed it as it's so light.
You shouldn't compress insulation! It won't harm the insulation itself, but it can damage your isolation, for two reasons: 1) It changes the acoustic properties of the insulation itself, greatly increasing the GFR, and 2) It can create flanking paths between the leaves: compressed fiberglass can become stiff enough that it can conduct some sound from one side to the other.... 20% compression, as you did, is maaaaybbbbeeee OK, but I'd check to be sure that you didn't cause any problems like that...

- Stuart -
Yeah, I know this, but I'm sure it is fine here. The GFR is only around 5000 rayls, and like you said, it's only 20%. I was expecting some increase and accept it.
I don't think we have a problem with flanking it's still very bouncy, not stiff at all.
Waka

Post by Waka »

Outerleaf wall insulation finished today. Just need to staple my netting on to make sure it's secure. Then it's time to hoover and caulk the sole plate base.

Wood for internal wall framing was delivered today woop woop!
wall c24.jpg
Hopefully will start on that next week, but need another pair of hands. Will have to see.

Dan
Waka

Post by Waka »

Good ol' Dad helped me with the inner-leaf stud work. Half of it finished today, the rest we're doing tomorrow.
anchor bolts fitted.jpg
inner stud work started.jpg
:yahoo:
Waka

Post by Waka »

Update:

Finished the inner leaf framing.
Fixed ceiling joists in place.
Fitted ventilation diffusers.

I left one ceiling joist loose so I can lift the two inner leaf silencer boxes through into the cavity when they're done. I'll be putting those together next week hopefully. They're a new low profile design as they need to fit into around a 230mm cavity and not touch the outer leaf.
joists and diffusers fitted.jpg
ventilation angle.jpg
Waka

Post by Waka »

Today I made one of my inner leaf silencer boxes. These are alot bigger than the outer leaf ones. I needed them to be less than 210mm external height, and have the exit in the middle of the room over the diffusers.
So my design splits the flow into two that run in parallel and then join back together as they exit the silencer.
low profile silencer.jpg
low profile silencer lined.jpg
low profile silencer bottom.jpg
Gregwor

Post by Gregwor »

Two words:

Bad Ass.

Greg
It appears that you've made the mistake most people do. You started building without consulting this forum.
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

You might want to beef up this baffle with an extra layer of MDF:
low-profile-slencer-fix.jpg
Right now, that single thin MDF panel is the only obstruction between the duct and the register. That's where your low frequencies will be getting through. It's the only thing attenuating the direct path, and it's not very substantial for that, so I'd suggest doubling up there.

Apart from that, it looks great!

- Stuart -
Waka

Post by Waka »

Thanks for your thoughts Stuart! Now that you mention it, I can see that happening. I'm afraid I've already fixed the lid, overlaid it with another 9mm mdf and had my father and brother in law help me lift it onto the joists!
So it looks like I'll have to leave it anyway sadly.
Hopefully the frequencies will meet their match in my outer leaf and silencer :lol:

I've now got to add some noggins underneath the silencer to transfer the load to the adjacent joists too.
finished silencer.jpg
inner leaf silencer in place.jpg
flexible duct here.jpg
Last edited by Waka on Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Waka

Post by Waka »

Gregwor wrote:Two words:

Bad Ass.

Greg
It's cool right??
Waka

Post by Waka »

On second thoughts Stuart, I'm sure I could reach in through the hole underneath and beef up that section of it up from inside!

I'll do that later in the build though. Remind me guys!
Waka

Post by Waka »

Duct fitted and silencer securely fixed in place.
duct fitted and silencer fixed.jpg
Dan