Garden studio UK

Plans and things, layout, style, where do I put my near-fields etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

Waka

Re: ***** 2nd (and 3rd) draft RFZ ready ***** Garden studio

Post by Waka »

Hi again,

So this is my new silencer design. I've increased the size of the paths for the supply and increased the ducting to 150mm. I'm planning on using metal spigots caulked and screwed to the boxes to attach my insulated flexible ducting between the silencers and to the fan etc.
New ventilation design.png
New ventilation design inside.png
New ventilation design below.png
I plan on using a 4 way ceiling diffuser for supply and probably exhaust too (mainly cosmetic reasons, continuity, and the datasheet says it's fine).

Thanks
Stay up at night reading books on acoustics and studio design, learn Sketchup, bang your head against a wall, redesign your studio 15 times, curse the gods of HVAC silencers and door seals .... or hire a studio designer.
Gregwor

Re: ***** Silencer design awaiting feedback*** Garden studio

Post by Gregwor »

It looks awesome now!!!!

Greg
It appears that you've made the mistake most people do. You started building without consulting this forum.
Waka

Post by Waka »

Thanks Greg!

I've ordered the materials to build my ventilation system so I'm happy.

Back to construction!

Dan
Stay up at night reading books on acoustics and studio design, learn Sketchup, bang your head against a wall, redesign your studio 15 times, curse the gods of HVAC silencers and door seals .... or hire a studio designer.
davepettitt

Post by davepettitt »

Are you using any kind of fan to draw stale air out of the room? That's the dilemma I'm running into.
Waka

Post by Waka »

davepettitt wrote:Are you using any kind of fan to draw stale air out of the room? That's the dilemma I'm running into.
Yes, you use a fan that can provide 6 air changes per hour to provide for comfortable oxygen requirements. So mine needs around 200CFM or 340 m3/h. The fan I've installed is an inline mixed flow fan that has 2 settings with the lower setting only 26db and provides 410 m3/h at free flow so should be fine:
http://www.ductstore.co.uk/acatalog/Sil ... -Fans.html
Gregwor

Post by Gregwor »

Dan! More pictures please!!

Greg
It appears that you've made the mistake most people do. You started building without consulting this forum.
Waka

Post by Waka »

Gregwor wrote:Dan! More pictures please!!

Greg
Yup, more pics on the build thread:
http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewt ... 10&t=21269
buttermuffin

Re: ***** 2nd (and 3rd) draft RFZ ready ***** Garden studio

Post by buttermuffin »

Waka wrote:Hi again,

So this is my new silencer design. I've increased the size of the paths for the supply and increased the ducting to 150mm. I'm planning on using metal spigots caulked and screwed to the boxes to attach my insulated flexible ducting between the silencers and to the fan etc.
New ventilation design.png
New ventilation design inside.png
New ventilation design below.png
I plan on using a 4 way ceiling diffuser for supply and probably exhaust too (mainly cosmetic reasons, continuity, and the datasheet says it's fine).

Thanks
Dan, what cross section do your silencer boxes have? Will the duct between the two silencers be 150mm?
Waka

Re: ***** Garden studio UK

Post by Waka »

Dan, what cross section do your silencer boxes have? Will the duct between the two silencers be 150mm?
So the duct cross section is 17671.5mm2 and yes The duct between the silencers is also 150mm diameter.

The cross section inside the silencers is 150mm x 250mm = 37500mm2

I'm currently having to redesign the inner leaf silencer as I have less space between inner and outer leaf then on my sketchup design. It's looking like I will have it between the inner leaf joists instead of on top of them.

I'm going to post a new design for them soon (TM)

Dan
chrispire

Post by chrispire »

Waka wrote:
davepettitt wrote: Yes, you use a fan that can provide 6 air changes per hour to provide for comfortable oxygen requirements. So mine needs around 200CFM or 340 m3/h. The fan I've installed is an inline mixed flow fan that has 2 settings with the lower setting only 26db and provides 410 m3/h at free flow so should be fine:
http://www.ductstore.co.uk/acatalog/Sil ... -Fans.html
Fire up that fan and let us know if it’s really producing only 26 dB. In my limited experience with “silent” mixed flow inline fans, the quoted specifications are usually miles away from reality. Worth checking before you install.

I purchased the following fan which claims to produce only 33db on high and 26db on low. On both settings the fan is about 30db louder than quoted. https://www.fansonline.com.au/fanco-tt- ... 150mm.html
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

Fire up that fan and let us know if it’s really producing only 26 dB. In my limited experience with “silent” mixed flow inline fans, the quoted specifications are usually miles away from reality.
Yep. :thu: Agreed!

- Stuart -
Waka

Post by Waka »

chrispire wrote:Fire up that fan and let us know if it’s really producing only 26 dB. In my limited experience with “silent” mixed flow inline fans, the quoted specifications are usually miles away from reality. Worth checking before you install.

I purchased the following fan which claims to produce only 33db on high and 26db on low. On both settings the fan is about 30db louder than quoted. https://www.fansonline.com.au/fanco-tt- ... 150mm.html
Ye I did take it with a grain of salt, and the measurement is from 3m, so 1m away is more like 38db. It's actually installed already, but outside of the sealed middle leaf in the ventilated third leaf void, so any noise has to go through the silencers or the leaves before entering the room.
Waka

Post by Waka »

Ok so I think I've got a workable design for my inner leaf silencers now. I definitely don't have enough room to place them on top of the inner ceiling joist, so I've had to make the box breach the leaf itself (I'm going to have to be extremely precise making sure this is sealed properly). I've created a boxed section on top of the silencer to take the air to the other side of the box as the gap isn't big enough for the flex duct to get through. This means the diffusers are central in the ceiling (which I like) and the boxes are quite compact.

I think I've covered most of my bases with the new design, but they're a lot more complex then the outer leaf boxes.

From above:
New design inner leaf silencer inlet.jpg
Inlet images:
New design inner leaf silencer inlet below.jpg
New design inner leaf silencer inlet removed side.jpg
Extract images: I need a filter to stop room dust etc getting into my extract silencer/fan so I've added a slight dropped ceiling section with an access hatch on the front to replace the panel filter.
This dropped section consists of additional bass trapping and is located against the rear wall.
New design inner leaf silencer extract below.jpg
New design inner leaf silencer extract removed side.jpg
All of the brown coloured insulation will be covered by fabric stapled between the joists and the seams covered by wooden strips.
Gregwor

Post by Gregwor »

Innovative design! The size of these things make fitting them anywhere so difficult. I'm re-designing mine right now and it's proving to be a nightmare, just like yours :-(

Have you checked the specs on that register grill? Make sure it's quiet enough!

Greg
Waka

Post by Waka »

Gregwor wrote:Innovative design! The size of these things make fitting them anywhere so difficult. I'm re-designing mine right now and it's proving to be a nightmare, just like yours :-(

Have you checked the specs on that register grill? Make sure it's quiet enough!

Greg
They are indeed a pain!

I phoned them before I bought it. It has 50% free area, and is 450mm x 450mm. This allows quite alot more than the flow in the silencers, so it looks good to me. Silencer cross section is 37500mm2 and flow through diffuser is 50625mm2.