Room is gonna kill me and my sweet spot

How to use REW, What is a Bass Trap, a diffuser, the speed of sound, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

Soundman2020
Site Admin

Re: Room is gonna kill me and my sweet spot

Post by Soundman2020 »

I don't visit the forums any more because I'm very busy,
I really wish you could, Ethan! :thu: Your visits and input are sorely missed, and the occasional comment would be very welcome! But I sure do understand the "very busy" part.... That describes my life too, pretty well...
and I don't do consulting by email for free.
Smart move! I should have learned by now to do the same.... :)

So I presume business is booming? which is a good thing for you, but not so good for the forum! :)

Anyway, thanks for dropping in again here, and a I really do hope it's not a rare occurrence!

- Stuart -
David17

Post by David17 »

Ahmen Stuart. Miss having him peek in.

To update. I still have couch in room but only speakers and computer left. I have been also listening to the room with generator bursts from REW and find all along the center of the room the sound becomes almost transparent. Is the center line along my whole room a null? It goes from middle of room to the back wall. It also really gave me a better understanding of where my frequencies are exaggerated and some ideas on where I should put bass traps.
Ethan Winer

Post by Ethan Winer »

Soundman2020 wrote:Your visits and input are sorely missed, and the occasional comment would be very welcome! But I sure do understand the "very busy" part.... That describes my life too, pretty well ... So I presume business is booming? which is a good thing for you, but not so good for the forum! :)
A lot has happened in the past few years. I'm mostly retired, but still doing RealTraps a little and doing more writing and consulting. I get a steady stream of people emailing for free advice, so I finally put a note on my web site saying I'll help for a $200 flat fee, or for free in my own forum. :D But my own forum is slow, which frankly is fine with me! I have a bunch of irons in the fire, including a huge electronics project that I've been working on since last summer. It's a novel way to test the fidelity of audio equipment. Maybe it will be a product, maybe it will have been a big waste of time. We'll see. :D
David17

Post by David17 »

Ok. After considering all things.
I decided to realize that all hope at that end was getting me nowhere. So I reversed the my speakers to sit 4inches from the back wall facing down toward windows. The sound is night and day. The bass response is of course greater but I took my LF switch on back of speakers and it sounds the best I have ever heard in the room. I only have a couch in front of window with blids. 4 corner traps each side wall early reflections and nothing on ceiling. There is only a few short midbass drops and I can hear a few long bass notes extending behind me but overall the room is the smoothest it has been. I'm thinking maybe treating ceiling above speakers.
I did try the 4" absorbers behind speakers but it smeared the soundstage abit so I left it tight against the wall.

The insulation I am using is 4" safe and sound.

Less absorption and clear notes. Very interesting find.

Is there a good formula for getting speaker placement?
Ethan Winer

Post by Ethan Winer »

David17 wrote:Is there a good formula for getting speaker placement?
As explained in my article below, the only way to find the best speaker placement is to measure the LF response as you experiment:

How To Set Up A Room
David17

Post by David17 »

Thank you Ethan. :D