Corner bass traps

How to use REW, What is a Bass Trap, a diffuser, the speed of sound, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

dave bace

Corner bass traps

Post by dave bace »

Hello
I'm building my own corner bass traps.
Would I be better off straddling the corner with a rockwool panel, leaving an air gap behind, or filling the gap with high density rockwool triangular sections.
Any opinions would be gratefully accepted,
cheers
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Re: Corner bass traps

Post by Soundman2020 »

Hi. Please read the forum rules for posting (click here). You seem to be missing a couple of things! :)

So basically you want to know the difference between a Superchunk bass trap and an ordinary corner trap? THe superchunk will perform better, down to lower frequencies, as long as you do NOT " fill the gap with high density rockwool triangular sections.". Just build a normal superchunk with low density fiberglass (+/- 30 kg/m3) or low density mineral wool (+/- 60 kg/3). This is a bass trap, so if you use high density insulation the performance will suffer. Contrary to popular belief, high density insulation is better at absorbing high frequencies, not low frequencies. Lower density is better for bass traps.

- Stuart -
dave bace

Post by dave bace »

Thanks Fella
All read up now! :D
DeepWarmVoice

Post by DeepWarmVoice »

My question is similar to Dave's, but I already have a corner bass trap. It is 6'4" (1.9m) tall, 2' (0.6m) wide, and 5.5" (14cm) thick. It sits across the only 90 degree corner in a pentagon shaped Vocalbooth with a 6'9" (2.05m) high ceiling. It is filled with Roxul Rockwool Comfort Batt insulation, which has a density of 32kg/cubic meter. There is an air gap in the triangle behind the bass trap. I have a pretty deep voice and record only dry voice in there. I am still hearing some bass resonance or boominess in my recordings. Would I be able to hear an improvement if I filled in the air gap behind the Roxul panel? If so, should I use more Roxul, or use fiberglass? A picture of the booth is below. The corner trap is the green one straight behind the microphones. The other panels are identical, except for the color. Note that the plan of the booth is reversed from the picture. In other words, the picture was taken from the top of the sketch, looking towards the 90 degree angle at the bottom of the sketch.