Fixing wall sockets and trunking

What is three phase electrics? how do I wire a patchbay? ask all your techo questions here.

Moderator: Aaronw

tardishead

Fixing wall sockets and trunking

Post by tardishead »

Hi everyone
I understand that it's best practise to do surface mount sockets with conduit/ trunking but what is recommended as the best way to fix the sockets to the wall
Trunking comes with adhesive backing so that's pretty self explanatory
But sockets and switches? Liquid nails? I was under the impression that they need to be more secure
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Re: Fixing wall sockets and trunking

Post by Soundman2020 »

It is normally all screwed into place. I usually screw in the ducts as well, even if they do have adhesive backing. The adhesive doesn't last forever, and will eventually peel if you don't. Especially if you are running a lot of wiring through them.

- Stuart -
tardishead

Post by tardishead »

So screw in to the drywall? With drywall plugs I presume? Doesn't this compromise the isolation?
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

tardishead wrote:So screw in to the drywall? With drywall plugs I presume? Doesn't this compromise the isolation?
No, you screw into the studs, not the drywall. That does not compromise isolation, since the screws entirely fill the hole anyway, and will go deep into the solid wood. You cannot just use the drywall, as it is not strong enough to take the strain of repeated plugging/unplugging.

This is one of the major reasons why I always use OSB or plywood as the first layer in an isolation leaf, with drywall over that for mass. The OSB or plywood give you a nailing / screwing surface around the entire room, not just at the studs.

- Stuart -