Chefrock Studios build diary

Discuss studios designed and built by others.

Moderators: Aaronw, John Sayers

ltn.koerschgen

Chefrock Studios build diary

Post by ltn.koerschgen »

Hi all,
I am, as most people here, a long time forum reader.
But now its time to build our own Studio and I wanna share it here...
We already have two small studios in the same building, but now we have a new space of 255 square meters.
The new Studio will have a dedicated Mixroom with a 5.1 monitoring System which can be expanded to 10.1 Auro 3D at a later stage.
It has a live room with 80 square meters, a isolated booth with 10 square meters, a second control room with 20 square meters, and a third Producer/Multi purpose room with 40 square meters, and a little lounge with about 30 square meters.
The Studio is on the third Floor in an old industrial Building in the middle of Hamburg, Germany.
We started nearly a month ago and it looks quite well so far…
In the first week they did the demolition of the old drywalls and the two chimneys to make space for our new walls.
They also build a heavy Brickwall between us and our only neighbour (The wall weights about 11tons).
After the space was completely empty, the put all the stuff in to build the drywalls.
All the drywalls are made out of metal struds and two sheets of drywall (Pianoboard, Silentboard and in some places Chipboard).
Every layer is caulked and sealed. The Metal Struds are decoupled with a specific Rubbermat at the bottom and at the ceiling.
So no wall is directly coupled to the building nor to each other. The distance between each wall is ruffly between 20-60cm, depending on the room. Every wall is damped with a thick layer of acoustic Glaswool.
The Ceiling is also completely suspended from every wall and from the building.
We used special acoustic Hangers which will decouple the ceiling up to 32 db down to 9Hz.
The Damping Material is sylomer green. We used 102 Hangers for the complete ceiling area (172 square meter).
The ceiling is build like the walls, wool and two layers of Pianoboard.
The Gap between the ceiling and the drywalls will be sealed with a special acoustic sealant which is made of silicon and Corg.
When the ceiling is finished we will pour a 8cm thick layer of concrete in each room. Under that we will install the floor heating system.
The concrete will sit on a special wool which decouples it from each room and from the building.
The windows to the outside are soundproof windows which have a STC of about 45db.
The double Windows between the rooms are each about 53mm thick and have a STC of 51db each.
The Doors will have a STC between 37db and 43db.
Ok, I hope this thread will entertain some of you and also inspire some of you to build their own Studio…
Cheers,
Tilmann
ltn.koerschgen

Re: Chefrock Studios build diary

Post by ltn.koerschgen »

So here are some pics from the first week…
I put frosted film on all of the windows except the ones we are using in our inner rooms.
I removed all of the network cables from the former renter, also all of the cable ducts.
The old drywalls are still standing...
ltn.koerschgen

Post by ltn.koerschgen »

Here are some pics from the first two demolition days...
ltn.koerschgen

Post by ltn.koerschgen »

Some pics show the former toilet which will be our private toilet and there main entrance.
The cut-out will be the Main entrance for Control Room 1.
ltn.koerschgen

Post by ltn.koerschgen »

Big heavy Wall to our only neighbour on this floor, weights about 12 tons...
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

Any more progress on this?
mart1977

Post by mart1977 »

Very interested to see more development on this build!
ltn.koerschgen

Post by ltn.koerschgen »

ugh, its been more than a year now that I have posted something here...
Please visit www.chefrock-studios.com for latest Pictures...
It took me two years to build this studio.
Walls, Aircondition, Doors, outer Windows, floating floor was done by pros,
all the rest was done by myself!
you can see a lot more pics on Facebook.
cheers,
Tilmann