How many breaker circuits to use in a new studio.

What is three phase electrics? how do I wire a patchbay? ask all your techo questions here.

Moderator: Aaronw

cprescott1972

How many breaker circuits to use in a new studio.

Post by cprescott1972 »

Hello!
I'm at the electrical installation phase of my studio. All the framing is done so now I'm planning all the wiring etc.
At my previous studio spot I used 2 breakers. One for the computer systems and one for the other outlets for guitar amps etc.

This time around I have ample breakers available and was planning on separating the lights to their own breaker, then having the computer DAW on its own, and finally the outlets around the room for gear on their own.

My question is whether it's a good idea to have the room outlets on 2 breakers so people's amps will not necessarily be on the same power. Or whether the outboard gear should be separated from the computer DAW?

All the power is ready to go and ample empty breakers are available so it's not any extra work to do this. Not sure if there's a general rule of thumb about separating different components in a studio. Of course the lights seem best separated. I'm trying to avoid any potential buzzing or ground problems if I can.

Also, the studio's breakers are coming from a sub panel in the detached studio structure (detached garage) which is being fed from the main panel at the house. There is a grounding rod at the main house but I'm assuming a separate ground rod can be installed to service the sub panel down the road if needed. ? Also, my understanding is that if I install a second grounding rod then I wouldn't need the walls to be wired any differently since it's all done at the panel. Is that correct?

I just want to make sure whatever I might need in the walls gets put there before I drywall it all up.

Thanks for any help with this.
Doing my best with what I've got...
Speedskater

Re: How many breaker circuits to use in a new studio.

Post by Speedskater »

The present NEC code requires that sub-panel in a detached building have a ground rod.
So the 4 conductors from the main building are: Hot, Hot, Neutral & Safety Ground.
As for that stake in the garden, just do whatever the building inspector or electrician wants. Than stop thinking about the rod. From an audio system power quality point of view, it neither adds nor detracts from the AC power quality.

Put the lighting system, coffee pot and other appliances on one leg or pole (aka phase) and the audio system on the other.
You might put all the musical gear on one circuit and the control equipment on another. Go for the opposite of power separation, you can run a lot of stuff on just one circuit.
Kevin
Speedskater

Post by Speedskater »

Middle Atlantic has some excellent information on AC power wiring.

"Power Distribution and Grounding of Audio, Video and Telecommunications Equipment White Paper"

http://www.middleatlantic.com/resources ... apers.aspx

Jim Brown has two Power Points.

"Power Systems"
http://www.audiosystemsgroup.com/InfoCo ... ms2012.pdf

"Grounding"
http://www.audiosystemsgroup.com/InfoCo ... ng2012.pdf
Kevin
cprescott1972

Post by cprescott1972 »

Awesome! Thanks for the response!
Doing my best with what I've got...
Retika

Post by Retika »

The present NEC code necessitates that sub-board in a disengaged building have a ground pole.

So the 4 conductors from the principle building are: Hot, Hot, Nonpartisan and Wellbeing Ground.

With respect to that stake in the greenery enclosure, simply do whatever the building auditor or circuit tester needs. Than quit contemplating the pole. From a sound framework control quality perspective, it neither includes nor reduces the air conditioner control quality.

Put the lighting framework, espresso pot and different apparatuses on one leg or shaft (otherwise known as stage) and the sound framework on the other.

You may put all the melodic rigging on one circuit and the control gear on another. Go for the inverse of intensity detachment, you can run a ton of stuff on only one circuit.