Welcome to the Recording Studio Design Forum

Plans and things, layout, style, where do I put my near-fields etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

Anna

Thank you

Post by Anna »

Thanks, guys for sharing your time to help the rest of us out! I am so amazed by all the information here.
---Simple Simone :)
Drumdrumdrumdrum

Post by Drumdrumdrumdrum »

Hi,

I've been reading this site for a few weeks a spending hours looking at all the pics to steal all the best ideas.

I have a good home studio that was build out of a total selfish desire to record whenever I want. I'm a full time musician and teach drums too. I'm an OK drummer and done some session work for Tom Misner down in Byron but I've never been really good enough or smart enough or lucky enough (one of em?) to make a living from performing. Then again who is? Those who can DO, those who can't teach!!!

Anyway, last year I started to get a few bands (mainly people I had recorded drum tracks for in the past) come to me and ask to hire my home studio. For $350 a day I said, "Ummmmmmm....OK!". Now I make more in one day then I do for a whole week of teaching.

So the seed was planted and watered by friends that have commercial studio's here on the Gold Coast to beginning a business plan and look at moving my quite extensive home studio into a commercial premisses.

I've been looking at warehouses around the Burleigh area here on the Gold Coast, close by three other major studio. I think studio hubs are good. It works in Nashvile. It seems most tilt slab warehouses have a very general design. I've settled on a size of about 100m sq that fits my budget and rough designs.

I had a bit of a fantasy to have a really big live room with 3m ceilings and about 40m sq floor area. I was thinking like Abbey road or Oceanway type of thing. However, It's been suggested to me that my market would not want that but they would rather have lots of smaller rooms for isolation. If it's a business ya gotta go with what the customers wants hey?

I'll try and keep this short. When talking with a few builders about this project I was suggested I talk to a John Sayer. I said "I know that name, I've been researching his forums, but I can't afford to fly someone all the way to AUSTRALIA to help me design a studio." The builder replied na na na he lives in Byron (30mins from me).

Small world hey! Looks like things are coming together. This maybe a good idea after all?

Cheers
Glenn Mortimer
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

even closer than that Glenn - I'm in Tweed ;)

In fact I'm familiar with that standup site in Burleigh you mentioned.

cheers
john
Drumdrumdrumdrum

Post by Drumdrumdrumdrum »

Thats so awesome!

I've been looking at warehouse for the past week. My wife has a lot more expensive taste then me. She really likes a place in Township Drive that has windows looking out to parklands.

She better like it because we will have to sell our home and move into a 'caretakers residence' to be able to afford it.

Now I've been finding out all the extra parking spaces I need to build the mezzanine and the requirements for a caretakers residence. I want to do it all legit.

I'll see you in the design area John.

Cheers and thanks
Monty_Python

Re: Welcome to the Recording Studio Design Forum

Post by Monty_Python »

Thanks for this forum! I've build my own booth at my home in the past and now I'm building a bigger isolation booth with one of my partners. This site looks like it will be a great help, thanks so much for this resource!!!

-Monty
opkod

Post by opkod »

hello, this is a rare forum on which we can find some serious informations.
I am planing to make a home-studio in an attic, I will post when I'll have enough time to make a plan with Sketchup.

bye
:D
Django Grappelli

Post by Django Grappelli »

Wow... I feel like I've walked through the wardrobe and landed in Studio Narnia!

Great forum! :D

I have a project studio in the house, and a baby on the way. I think you can all guess what's going to happen next?!!

Yup... move out of the house! I'm a self employed musician doing work for TV, Theatre + I'm a Singer songwriter and member of a few bands, I am looking to buy a property for a custom studio + rehearsal space.

Talk soon...

DG
Iceman

Post by Iceman »

This is my first post and since this topic is an "welcome" one I'll say Hello here...

So hello everione, especialy to John !
Thanks for existing and for the infos... :D

I have a bad english, sorry for that...
For now I just read around, to have infos when I gonna make my real studio... now I just have a litle one whit no isolation, just a litle accoustic tratment on the walls :yahoo: (satisfied and so anyway...)
Let your Soul fly...
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

welcome Iceman :)
billbreaks

Post by billbreaks »

Hi there, the board seems great john. Well done.

Matt
hardplay

Post by hardplay »

Hello everyone, i signed up after reading a post at the Reaper forums about his forum, looks like a great place for learning ! Thanks in advance :)
MunchkinBrando

Post by MunchkinBrando »

Never said officialy hello, so here goes:
Hello!

Currently in the process of designing and building an rehearsal/recording and live room for me and my bands,
the thread is here:
http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewt ... =1&t=14490

:)
Ro

Post by Ro »

hoi! :yahoo:
Charles_Muller

Post by Charles_Muller »

Before anything, hello! My name's Charles Muller and I'm in Brazil. What i have to say about this forum is: After glancing in some writings on this forum ... well, I realized it, hours had passed and my stomach was growling! The wealth of information contained herein is spectacular, and I am extremely happy to have the contents of this forum. Many thanks to all that make this place what it is! I'll be in the next few days familiarizing myself with everything and concentrating on everything that is already available concerning the information on acoustics and studio design and everything else. So, as time goes through and doubts begins to appear, i'll begin to expose my questions the best way i can. By now, thanks a lot again!
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

Hola!
Glenn