Welcome to the Recording Studio Design Forum

Plans and things, layout, style, where do I put my near-fields etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

dane5

studio construction Question

Post by dane5 »

i am new to the field of construction so i came here for help.. i am building a new recording studio from scratch it gonna be concrete throught out the entire building but what what i want to know is how do i float the control room, with a room within a room theory? where do u start from just a empty concrete room 18*18 and can you post some pics of past construton on this site? thanks a ton.
Dane
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Hi Dane, and welcome - this thread is just kind of an "introductory nice to see ya" thread; for actual questions/answers, you need to post in one of the forums under your own thread, so everyone can track it easier - looks like your questions would fit more in the Construction forum for now.

Couple of things - do NOT build a concrete bunker that is SQUARE - second worst shape you can choose.

Click on the John Sayers logo at top right of the page, you'll be taken to a menu that includes lots of people's studio construction pix, the recording manual (written by John several years ago), some DIY absorbers, etc -

Again, BEFORE you pour concrete you need to start your OWN thread in the Construction forum, and before you do you should read through THIS section -

http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2125

Reading through the links there will answer a LOT of your questions, and probably raise even MORE questions, but it will all be educational.

Looking forward to working with you... Steve
dougo

Post by dougo »

John and Knightfly,

I have been reading your forum for the last couple of months. Absolutely fantastic. I will soon be doing some sound reinforcement on my bedroom studio and will scour your pages for inspiration.

Thank you,
Doug
Belzeted

Hey John

Post by Belzeted »

Just reg'd today, thanks for creating such an informative website!
Much appreciated!
Teddy
Gimme a bottle of anything...to go!
ktb1025

Post by ktb1025 »

Hi John, Hi Steve,

I've been lurking arund for a few weeks and just wanted to introduce myself and personally thank you both for providing such a comprehensive source of information. Even better, you guys seem to really know your stuff and at the same time without being condescending or full of yourselves. True professionals fer sure!

I'm building a rehearsal/recording studio in the 'burbs of beautiful downtown Pembroke Pines, Florida. Try to visualize the bright sun, beautiful beaches, bikinis, and beer! Ok... Now go about 35 miles inland and try to visualize the bright sun, skeeters as big as gators, and gators as big as dinosaurs. Instant civilization meets the everglades! Welcome to Pembroke Pines.

Anyways, this studio is sort of what I wanted to do 30 years ago, but the daily grind got in the way. I just sold my burglar alarm business, paid some debts, and with what's left over I'm having another go at it. The kids are all grown so I think it's time now for my midlife crisis. :?

So with the help of some friends, I embark on this journey into the relatively unknown. You guys are a nice friendly beacon along the way. Please don't get offended if, (in spite of the volumes of information you guys make available here) some knucklehead like myself goes ahead and does something stupid. :oops: I have a knack for that.

I'll submit my plans for your edification, and the collective enlightenment of the forum. They're probably not well though out, or maybe lacking in one way or another, but at least they'll provide plenty of discussion on what to do vs. what not to do when designing and building a studio space.

Thanks for the advice!

Kevin Burns
Kevin Burns
TheTalentFarm.com

Really ?

Post by Guest »

Hey John
I never knew that it could be done like that, really incredible. :evil::evil:
8 left turns

hello to all

Post by 8 left turns »

Im a noob here and found this site to be very informative. Hopfully I will be starting my project soon.... Its gonna be a tricky one. Hope to get some good advise here. Greetings to all!
do or do not, there is no try
lcbsj

Awesome

Post by lcbsj »

I'm not really sure how I found this site, but it couldn't have happened at a better time. I'm on a hunt for a good WH to build a studio. I have only just begun to scratch the surface of this site and I must say I'm blown away. I'll see you all around.
Thanks,
Larry
Don T

Post by Don T »

Hello John,
Really cool site. What caught my eye the first thing was the bad helmholts formula. I have been saying this for years. My copy of the AES publication has the correct formula but it was mis-quoted or typo-ed in the F. Alton Everst book. I went back to my ported speaker formula and have been using that since the days of dos. I am currently working on the acoustic design of our new facilities at PCC. Due to budget cutbacks and cost overuns the studio spaces came up way short. I suppose I should expect the music program to be last on the list for funding, it is sort of an unwritten law here in Oregon.

Could I impose upon you for some ideas so I don't have to re-invent the wheel?

Thanks for putting this site together,

Don T
Don T

Music & students - what a gas!
Liveengineer

In Transition

Post by Liveengineer »

Hi Guys,
What a wealth of knowledge this site has.
After 18yrs of pushing faders for the punters ears i am slowly making the transition into a more respectible db enviroment---home and small studio.
looks like i have alot of reading here to do...
Cheers :D
blueprint

Post by blueprint »

Hello,

I'm new here on the forum. I found this website on the forum of homerecording.be

I hope I can find a lot of tips here to increase the quality of my studio.

My setup on this moment you can find on my homepage...

The acoustics I have are from Auralex, what do you think about them?

Grtz Blueprint
Smrilda

Post by Smrilda »

I don't know anymore how do I got to this site, but it is worth it!

Cuz some tips 'n tricks are always verry usefull cuz making a studio aint something you do on a free day with some dollars. So if read some info and stories about people their mistakes, use of materials,... is verry helpfull.
whylago

Post by whylago »

I just found this place and registered...thank goodness. I will be building a small recording studio in my detached garage (15x23 ft.) Just now in the research / planning phase.

This place looks to be a great resource.
Greenhorn_Music

Exellent idea!

Post by Greenhorn_Music »

Speaking for the majority here, thanks for taking your expertise, time and efforts in sharing your expierience to the rest of us who like to learn.
Raised on classic rock, custom chevy's, and an open mind. My first passion is customizing auto's, my second would be music . . .
Stizz

Thanks for your site!

Post by Stizz »

Like many others, I found out about your site through Gearslutz. I already have an 800 sq. ft. combination control room/studio in my attic that I love, but we are just beginning to design our future home in a secluded area of Hawaii. I am planning to build a separate structure to use as my office/control room, combined with a studio space that will be used as a guest house more often than it is used as a studio. My wife is a recording artist, and I hope to get some work doing long-distance indie mastering. I have a phenomenal architect who knows nothing about recording studios, but I have 25 years of pro engineering under my belt, and I do know something.

I will be reading a million posts on your site, and hopefully will be back as I get my ideas together. Just wanted to say hi, and thank you for being here!