Welcome to the Recording Studio Design Forum

Plans and things, layout, style, where do I put my near-fields etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

zavet

Re: Welcome to the Recording Studio Design Forum

Post by zavet »

Hi John and everyone!
This is our first post. Zavet is the name of our acoustic tradittional old Serbian music band, so we choose it for our logon.
We are interested in making our own attic studio, and found here a plenty of usefull information for us. Now we are still making plans, but within a day or two we will post our design idea on this forum, hoping to get as much as possible advices, suggestions, corrections, from everyone who can help.
Thats all for now. In case anyone interested to hear our music and see our band, here is the link (we posted 4 songs from live performances till now):
http://www.youtube.com/user/etnoZAVET?feature=mhum

ziveli ! (cheers in Serbian)
guiltysmile

Post by guiltysmile »

hola mi nombre es gustavo,soy de españa,y estoy encantado de haber encontrado este foro,espero que me podais ayudar y yo en la mendida de lo posible con mis(pocas)experiencias,un saludo.
xirox22

Post by xirox22 »

this forum is fantastic, lots of information on how to structure a professional studio without shortcomings, thanks jhon people like you makes the world better.
Little Richie

Post by Little Richie »

Привет всем!
Hello all!

I'm Richie, a college student in Florida. I have been playing music for years, but have only in the last year, gotten into recording. I started out with one microphone and a one track recorder, and have since moved up to an 8 track mixer, and some real mics. I have also been designing speakers, and use my own designs for my music setup.

The part I'm lacking in is the Studio, sound isolation. I have played around with foam padding, and carpet, but have never attempted a real studio build. The worst part about this is I just moved into an apartment, where I can not be too loud. I'm sure I will be a frequent in the sound isolation threads.

I have read on this forum before, and am glad to call myself a member. Hopefully I can contribute some worthwhile information.
shomium

Post by shomium »

Hello everyone,

Greetings from Croatia. I have been tracking this forum for a year and finally decided to join discussion, mostly seeking advice how to design neutral sounding project studio inside square-shaped, low ceiling, concrete basement room of my parents house.
So, see you hopefully at thread, when I start it.
tedsticle

Post by tedsticle »

Hi everyone....first post. I have been given the o.k. from the wife to build a CR and LR in the basement. :yahoo: I'm already having a blast ripping the basement apart! I've downloaded SketchUp and REW, ordered Rod Gervais' book, and spent about 2 weeks in this forum reading and sponging up as much information as I can. I'm the type of person that starts something and takes it all the way no matter how long it takes. In this case, I have no problem for the build to last 5 years, if that's what it takes. I know the end result will be very rewarding. I have an Audio Engineering/Recording Degree, and have played guitar for about 15 years. Good Talk :D

Later, Ted
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

Hi Ted, and Welcome! :)

Sounds like round about now would be a good time to start your own build thread! :) That's what the forum is all about: documenting builds to help each other, with examples of how to do it right (and also "how not to do it", but hopefully that won't be your case! :) ).

Photos of the space you have available, your initial SketchUp model, a description of your plans and goals, and anything else that you think is pertinent should go in your thread, and since you already started the demo, it would be great to start your thread with photos of "how it was before", and things that you come across during the demo process... There are always unexpected, hidden "surprises" that you come across ... :)

Looking forward to seeing your thread!

- Stuart -

(PS. Add "Master Handbook of Acoustics" to your reading list, right up there with Rod's book....)
Conor O Suiligh

Post by Conor O Suiligh »

First we would like to say thank you to John, the Mods and all the contributors to the forum for the invaluable information and help you give out every day. Without this forum as a resource our decision to build our own spot would definitely not have happened as fast, we just hope we can be kept on the right path during the design and build process.

We have 735 square feet to play with and hope to incorporate a live room, control room, a secondary smaller iso/drum room and hopefully a small lounge area also. We might be asking to much for our space tho there is the possibility of acquiring more.
Anyway, hope to see ya about, thats if i haven't snapped first due to a Sketchup related incident :horse:

Cheers, Conor.
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

Hang in there Conor - sketchup is a wonderful program. :)
John Sayers Productions

If this site helps you build your studio please use the Donate button.
Conor O Suiligh

Post by Conor O Suiligh »

Hang in there Conor - sketchup is a wonderful program.
Thanks John, its a bit of a learning curve as is the construction side haha, if we build our place to a half decent standard id be amazed :shock:
but we've got no excuses really, with this place just a click away :wink:

Like just last night i realised that we haven't even considered HVAC in our build :oops: but on the other hand we would get a lot of great foley samples of bodies hitting concrete, swings and roundabouts eh :twisted:
CAT5

Post by CAT5 »

Just want to say thanx before I even post anything. I love this site. It is full of awesome ideas and tips. And it is just great fun watching all these awesome studio's.
I'm about to go for my first own studio adventure after helping a lot of other guys. This forum was always helpfull. My own place has some serious challenges though. It's over 200 squares metres (about 224 from the top of my head) indeed a square and about 4 metres high. AND it is on the 3rd floor. Not sure how that last thing will influence the building of the studio. There is an elevator on the same floor so no problems with getting the gear into the studio.
So, thans again John!
Resident

Post by Resident »

Hi everyone,

I can't believe I have only just found this site, better late than never. I am planning a new studio build in the next month and scouring this forum and its friendly experience will be invaluable.

And what would we do without Google Sketchup? John's designs are an inspiration.

Many thanks to all in advance - more questions to come, I'm sure.
Resident Studios, London
www.residentstudios.com
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

Hi there "Resident", and Welcome to the forum! :)
more questions to come, I'm sure.
That's what this place is here for!

- Stuart -
arabesque-bass

Post by arabesque-bass »

Hi everybody,

As me and my girlfriend are planning to move to Germany, this offers som perspective in order
to build my own studio. This is an AWESOME forum and I have never seen so much information
posted on one Forum!!

First I will enjoy reading and getting inspired by all of you!! As soon as we have a house in Germany,
I will ask you everything I need to know in order to create my second home!!

John, keep up the good work!!!

Greetings from The Netherlands!

Frank
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

Welcome to the forum, Frank! I hope your move to Germany goes smoothly, and I look forward to seeing your design thread here, as soon as you are ready to get started.

- Stuart -