Which Wire for Equi=Tech 10WQ isolation transformer circuits

What is three phase electrics? how do I wire a patchbay? ask all your techo questions here.

Moderator: Aaronw

vibrations1951

Which Wire for Equi=Tech 10WQ isolation transformer circuits

Post by vibrations1951 »

I have an Equi=tech 10WQ in my small (1200sq.ft.)professional studio under construction. I have limited/basic electronic or electrical experience though I have read extensively which may have confused me. My electrician doesn’t have studio wiring expertise but does have experience with “hospital” wiring.
I have a control room, 2 iso booths and the main tracking space.
No “diry” power or LV wires will be run parallel with the “clean” power less than 2’ apart (with the exception of unforeseen crossovers, but if necessary, only at a 90 degree angle.)
Circuit wire questions:
1. Should I use Romex, stranded THHN or something else for my circuits from the equitech?
I have on hand #10 stranded (for ground) and #12 stranded, all of which I was going to pull the Greenfield I have on hand as well, for each clean power circuit.
Through my reading I now think that instead I should use #12/2 Romex for my “clean” circuits (from the Equitech) instead of the stranded THHN. And if I use the Stranded, I should likely twist the #12’s and run the #10 with it in the Greenfield untwisted.
Cost is always a factor but I don’t want to scrimp on such an important foundation piece of my setup!
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
NAMASTE
Speedskater

Re: Which Wire for Equi=Tech 10WQ isolation transformer circ

Post by Speedskater »

While either solution is great!
The THHN in conduit is greater!
It's a Bill Whitlock idea to twist the Hot & Neutral together (but not the Safety Ground). No electrician will be happy with this plan as it requires extra work. But Romex® works better that the average conduit wire job.

Run each circuit to it's central point junction box and then star out to the outlets. The idea is to reduce the cable length from outlet to outlet.

With THHN it's one Hot, one Neutral and one Safety Ground. That is, if in a junction box the Hot & Neutral split in two directions, then that's where the Safety Ground splits off also.

From area to area, run the clean AC power and the signal interconnects along the same general path. That is, don't run AC power along the floor with signal cables near the ceiling.

Don't even think about that stake in the garden, it has nothing to do with good AC studio power.
Kevin
vibrations1951

Post by vibrations1951 »

Update:
I've settled on #12-2 Romex for all AC, both clean and dirty power. The stranded and Greenfield would have been a good choice but according to the Bill Whitlock paper and others, I would have needed to twist the hot and neutrals while leaving the ground relatively straight and then of course the pulling through the Greenfield. And the overall gains would be relatively little over the Romex. I settled on #12 even though #10 would provide a heavier ground, mostly because of the eventual challenges with hookups to receptacles etc. I feel that this should be fine.....I think....I hope!!

The electrician will swap out all the THHN stranded and Greenfield I've got so I'm a happy camper.
Now it's time to move all construction materials and equipment to the center of the rooms and start the layout!!
I'm so pumped I can hardly stand it. We start pulling wire in 1 week! 2 hour Road trip Tuesday to pick up wire.

I'm strongly considering colored LED floods type in the main tracking room and iso's. Tracks in the CR and a lighting controller of sorts instead of gangs of wall switches in the CR to control it all. Money bleed here we go!

Wish me luck. Any additional comments are welcome!
NAMASTE
Speedskater

Post by Speedskater »

You truly do live in the middle of nowhere.
Kevin
vibrations1951

Post by vibrations1951 »

For sure we do. The end of I95 in the North before entering Canada. I can see the border from my front yard!
NAMASTE