Starting the Studio-Project

Discuss studios designed and built by others.

Moderators: Aaronw, John Sayers

Art Royce

Starting the Studio-Project

Post by Art Royce »

Hi!
Im Art and I´m living in Austria.
I´m attaching the last plan. We will start to build it up in August 2014.
Let´s hope weather will be fine.
Greetings
Art

www.art-royce.com
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Re: Starting the Studio-Project

Post by Soundman2020 »

Hi art. Welcome. Please read the forum rules for posting (click here). You seem to be missing a couple of things! :)

It looks like you are trying to build an RFZ stype of studio, but there are several things that are not correct about the layout, and several other things that can be improved.

First, it seems that you do not need any isolation ("soundproofing") for your studio, since you show only single-leaf walls on all sides. If you do need isolation, then that will need to be changed.

Second, the shape of the room is wasting a lot of space, and not meeting the objective (assuming that it really is an RFZ design). You only need to angle (splay) the front part of your side walls, not the entire wall: If you did that, then your live room could be much bigger. You did not mention if this is an existing building that you are just modifying, or if it is a new building that you will build completely, from the ground up?

Next, you show "Absorption and diffusion" at all points on all o the walls: There's no studio design concept that I'm aware of where that that would work. Normally (and especially if it is an RFZ design, or also a CID, NER or LEDE design) one end of the room is "brighter" acoustically, and the other is either "deader" or "more diffuse", or both, while the areas in between are treated as needed at each point, based on the room geometry and overall acoustics. Also, that room is probably too small to be able to use most types of diffusion, although it might be possible to do some on the rear wall, if it is needed. So you should be using mostly absorption in that room, with little or no diffusion.

Also, it seems that the windows on the left and right walls of the CR will be located at your first reflection points, and therefore you won't be able to put any treatment on them, which is a major problem: That needs fixing.

Finally, you have the space and the basic room shape to soffit-mount ("flush-mount") your speakers, but it looks like you are not doing that.

You have a good sized space there, and it could be made into an excellent studio. If you work on those points I mentioned above, then it could be really good.

- Stuart -
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

if you are building a new studio then you must be installing soundproofing foam and panels. I would like to recommend you [SPAM DELETED] company as they are offering [SPAM DELETED] on acoustic products. you just need to like their page on facebook.
Visit website [SPAM DELETED]
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

if you are building a new studio then you must be installing soundproofing foam
No you should not, because there is no such thing as "soundproof foam".

I already delete the spammer and banned him permanently for violating the forum rules, but I added this reply just in case anybody was confused by his snake-oil pitch. Anybody who talks about "soundproof foam" doesn't have a clue about acoustics to start with, and one has to wonder why a reputable company selling real acoustic products would need "likes" on a facebook page... :shock:

- Stuart -