html5 room mode calculator

How to use REW, What is a Bass Trap, a diffuser, the speed of sound, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

andymel

html5 room mode calculator

Post by andymel »

Hi,

I have started to rebuilt my room mode calculator "amroc" because java-applets are dead and I wanted to see what html5 is able to do.

I would be very happy to hear some opinions from some of you. I already have a long todo list with things I still want to add but I would be glad to prioritize them (and of course add feature requests) on some other point of views.

To be able to use all features (hear the modes as sine) you need Google Chrome. But also in newer Versions of Firefox and IE you should at least be able to see and use all visual things. Javascript has to be active!

If someone with more english-skills is reading the texts too and finds any errors in there, it would also be really great to hear about!!

Thank you very much! I hope you'll like what you see and you will feel the desire to make it even more useful. :)

Andy
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Re: html5 room mode calculator

Post by Soundman2020 »

Oh WOW! That's a really cool calculator, Andy! Very nice!

I love the following features:

1) Can select axials, tangentials and obliques independently. Useful!
2) Tuner for seeing the note of each mode. Great idea.
3) Bolt area diagram.
4) Bonello diagram.

Having those all together, and in a very intuitive layout, makes it very useful.

My suggestions:

1) On the tuner and the table, also indicate the octave. EG, instead of just putting "C#", say "C2#" or "C3#". Makes it a bit easier to get a handle on what octave each mode set is in. You are already doing that with the Bonello graph, showing the 1/3 octaves, but having the actual octave noted right on the meter and in the table would be the icing on the cake.

2) Also, I put in the dimensions for a large room I'm working on right now (13m long, 14.5m wide, 6m high), but the graph adjusts automatically to show only up to 4 Hz. I tried to change that with the upper and lower limits fields, but it wont let me. Maybe you could fix that, so it is also useful for large rooms, not just small ones?

3) Auralize! So you can hear the actual tone of each mode, if you want to. In other words, if you click on a mode, then have the option to actually play a sine wave of that tone.

4) Make it into an Android app for my smart phone, and sell it to me! It would be a very useful tool to have, and I'm sure there's a few others out there who would willingly pay for having this type of powerful, useful, well-designed tool on their phones.

Amazing tool. Thanks so much for sharing!

(And now a sticky...)

- Stuart -
andymel

Post by andymel »

Hi Stuart,

thanks very very much for your feedback!!
Soundman2020 wrote: My suggestions:
1) On the tuner and the table, also indicate the octave.
A really easy change, did it!
2) Also, I put in the dimensions for a large room I'm working on right now (13m long, 14.5m wide, 6m high), but the graph adjusts automatically to show only up to 4 Hz. I tried to change that with the upper and lower limits fields, but it wont let me. Maybe you could fix that, so it is also useful for large rooms, not just small ones?
I have entered your values but haven't got this problems.
  • for 13m you have to enter 1300, because its cm. But you would have recognized that because of the modes getting kHz values
  • maybe you have checked feed instead of cm?!
  • to set your own values you have to uncheck the "auto limits" checkbox in the settings dialog where the limits are entered
If none of those mistakes happend please tell me what browser you have and we try to find the bug!
3) Auralize! So you can hear the actual tone of each mode, if you want to. In other words, if you click on a mode, then have the option to actually play a sine wave of that tone.
Thats already implemented. But you need to use googles Chrome Browser to use this feature. The loudspeaker on the right side indicates your possibility to switch on/off audio.
4) Make it into an Android app for my smart phone, and sell it to me! It would be a very useful tool to have, and I'm sure there's a few others out there who would willingly pay for having this type of powerful, useful, well-designed tool on their phones.
Its on my list to optimize amroc also for touchscreens so you could use it on your smartphone too. Of course you would need an internet connection. Do you need it offline?
Amazing tool. Thanks so much for sharing!
(And now a sticky...)
Thanks so much for your feedback! And of course also for the sticky :)
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

to set your own values you have to uncheck the "auto limits" checkbox in the settings dialog where the limits are entered
Ahhhh!!!! That was it. I didn't see the checkbox. But now its working fine.

Thanks for the octave number, too!
But you need to use googles Chrome Browser to use this feature.
Darn! I use Firefox... Not possible to make it work with Firefox?
Its on my list to optimize amroc also for touchscreens so you could use it on your smartphone too. Of course you would need an internet connection. Do you need it offline?
Right. Offline, as an installable app. Occasionally on construction sites there's no internet connection, or only a very flaky connection (I guess due to all the metal), so it would be great to have an app that works totally off-line. Also useful if I'm on a plane with "Airplane Mode" on, and need to work on something with no connection.

But I guess making it into an app would be an awful lot of work!

Still, it's a VERY useful tool, jut like it is. Very cool.

- Stuart -
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

Say! I just noticed that the auralization is working in Firefox now! Woohooo!!!! :yahoo:

It just keeps getting better and better!

:thu:

- Stuart -
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

Just noticed a detail that you might want to try to fix: For rooms with a high ceiling, the width might easily be greater than the height, but in those cases the ratio does not show on your Bolt diagram, since it assumes that height is always "1". But acoustically, it doesn't matter which way up the room is! A room with a ratio of 1:2:3 will behave exactly the same as a room with ratio of 2:1:3 (except that it is lying on its side.... )

So maybe you could do a check for that, and if the width is smaller than the height then just flip them around so that you can still plot the ratio on the Bolt diagram.

Just a suggestion!

- Stuart -
andymel

Post by andymel »

Ha ok, you have discovered the update by yourself, perfect ;)
Unfortunately there are still some audio glitches in Firefox at the moment because the fades are not working yet.

Thanks for your suggestion! I add that to my list :)

Andy
andymel

Post by andymel »

There will also be a solution for using it offline. But I still have to read a little bit for that feature. ;)
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

Another idea for ya: On the Bolt diagram, as I run my cursor over it, it shows the ratio at the cross hairs, which is useful. but how about adding another line under that, that shows the DIMENSIONS of the room too, at that point? (assuming the height doesn't change)? That would be VERY useful for playing quick "what if" games when trying to improve on the room dimensions...

:)

- Stuart -
andymel

Post by andymel »

Hi Stuart,

I will include your idea in the course of a redesign I'm planning. After that there will be more space for the tuner/bolt/bonello panels. I need to do that, because there are other panels that I also want to add.

Thanks a loooot for all! your feedback!!! :D
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

Cool! Sounds great!

I found a clunky way of using your calculator on my smart phone: There's a great little Android app called "Team Viewer" that allows you take control of your PC from your phone over the internet, from any place to any place, seamlessly and invisible, through firewalls and all. It duplicates the screen of your PC on your cell phone, and gives you limited touch screen control (sort of like "Go To My PC" and other similar apps). And your calculator works well with that. So when I leave the office to go visit someone, I just leave my notebook turned on permanently with Firefox running... then any time I need to use your calculator I connect to the notebook from my smart phone and do it like that. Even the auralization works like that, which is very cool!

It impresses the hell out of people when I let them hear the exact modal tones on my phone that are causing the very problems they can already here around them, in their own room... :)

Of course, if it were available as a direct Android app, that would be even cooler! :)

- Stuart -
andymel

Post by andymel »

Hi amrocker,

I have done a small update.
  • New features:
  • The dimensions in the bolt area that stuart wanted.
  • The reverberation time for that size of room recommended by EBU Tech. 3276 - 2nd edition.
  • And calculated for that RT60:
    • the schroederfrequency,
    • equivalent absorption area/average absorption coefficient by sabine and eyrig
    • and the critical distance
  • piano keys in the background
http://amroc.andymel.eu

Hope you like it!
Still opened for feedback! :)
andymel

Post by andymel »

Hi again,

another update is out there.

New:
  • you can type in your own RT60 now and it will calculate the schroederfrequency, critical distance, needed absorption for that time
  • you can also select reverberation times recommended for that volume by some standard specification (please tell me if you want me to add others)
  • browser optimizations - should work on all newer versions of Chrome, IE, Firefox, Opera, Safari now, please tell me if not!!
ok, have fun with it :)
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

Oh MAN! That's just crazy! I have to go play with the new toy a bit, but I need to get some sleep first....

This is getting to be one of the best and most useful tools out there, without any doubt.

Can I ask for just one more button? I think this is the only thing it is missing right now: I'd like it take a set of dimensions, then when I press that button, it produces a fully complete design for the entire studio, with the exact location of every stud, panel, door, window and HVAC duct! :)

Seriously, that's about the only thing it doesn't do!

I'll be playing in the morning... :)

- Stuart -
andymel

Post by andymel »

Soundman2020 wrote:...then when I press that button, it produces a fully complete design for the entire studio, with the exact location of every stud, panel, door, window and HVAC duct! :)
Seriously, that's about the only thing it doesn't do!
That's the pro version. Unfortunately I would have to charge $1.99 for that ;)