Gigalittle Studio Build Thread

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

gullfo

Re: Gigalittle Studio Build Thread

Post by gullfo »

that's my preferred approach - building boxes around the outlets and switches versus simply using putty pads.
Glenn
Gigalittle

Post by Gigalittle »

Thanks Glenn! Yeah I built a bunch of little boxes for AC and low voltage wiring.
Electrical Boxes.jpg
Smoke Detector.jpg
Light Box Up 1.jpg
Electrical Boxes.jpg
But putty pads have their uses too...
A Use for Putty Pads.jpg
Sealing Support Column Base.jpg
Steve

“The problem with the world is that fools are always certain, but the wise are full of doubts.” - Bertrand Russell
Gigalittle

Post by Gigalittle »

I bought three 8 channel mini snakes and built some airtight MDF housings to flush mount the stage boxes.
Snake Box.jpg
Snake Box 1.jpg
Snake Box 2.jpg
Snake Box in Place.jpg
Snake Box Installed.jpg
Steve

“The problem with the world is that fools are always certain, but the wise are full of doubts.” - Bertrand Russell
Gigalittle

Post by Gigalittle »

Also built hatches for the water meter and main shutoff, and the shut off for the outdoor spigot.
Hatch & Cover.jpg
Hatch Ready.jpg
Ceiling Hatch.jpg
Steve

Gigalittle

Post by Gigalittle »

Pre-wiring for the Mini Split:
Drop for Mini Split.jpg
$5000.00 later... Mini Splits installed
Mini Split Installed.jpg
Air Handler Installed.jpg
Steve

Gigalittle

Post by Gigalittle »

The other ends of the snakes in the control room.
Contol Room Wiring.jpg
Control Room Front.jpg
Live room ready for drywall...
Ready For Drywall.jpg
Ready For Drywall 2.jpg
Last edited by Gigalittle on Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve

gullfo

Post by gullfo »

might be late - did you split the audio conduit and recouple with rubber joint? to decouple between frames (if so attached).
Glenn
Gigalittle

Post by Gigalittle »

Thanks Glenn!

The PVC conduit is just there to make the opening for the snake pigtails look good. It's only about 4 inches of pipe and does not connect through to the other side.
Steve

christophercarr86

Post by christophercarr86 »

The light boxes look great!
One of the lights looks like it is in the blue electrical box surrounded by 2x4 and then some have the bigger MDF boxes. What is the difference ?
And for the electrical boxes, is the 2x4 box around those just built to tightly fit the electrical box ? No safety concerns with that ? I like the idea and want to do it!
Gigalittle

Post by Gigalittle »

Hi Christopher,

Thanks for reaching out! I made the bigger MDF boxes for the LED recessed "can" lights. They don't have cans, just a little LED module and a driver module that houses the junction box.

The ceiling drywall (first layer) butts up against the MDF boxes, and the 2nd layer goes right over them. Then we cut another 4" hold in the 2nd layer drywall to install the lights.

The other smaller boxes were made out of scrap 2x4s, backed with scrap MDF and sealed with caulk. They just fit around the boxes for the outlets and other wiring. The ones in the ceiling are for a surface mount light and 2 smoke detectors.

No safety concerns because all the electrical is to code - all junctions are in accessible boxes no hidden splices etc. The electrician did mention it may shorten the lifespan of the LED ceiling lights a little bit due to heat build up, but if that happens they can easily be replaced.

Will post some more pictures when I get a chance.

Steve
Steve

gullfo

Post by gullfo »

if the lights are in the box enclosures, then leaving the light open to the room will help dissipate the heat (which is processed as part of the overall cooling strategy.
Glenn
christophercarr86

Post by christophercarr86 »

Gigalittle wrote:Hi Christopher,

Thanks for reaching out! I made the bigger MDF boxes for the LED recessed "can" lights. They don't have cans, just a little LED module and a driver module that houses the junction box.

The ceiling drywall (first layer) butts up against the MDF boxes, and the 2nd layer goes right over them. Then we cut another 4" hold in the 2nd layer drywall to install the lights.

The other smaller boxes were made out of scrap 2x4s, backed with scrap MDF and sealed with caulk. They just fit around the boxes for the outlets and other wiring. The ones in the ceiling are for a surface mount light and 2 smoke detectors.

No safety concerns because all the electrical is to code - all junctions are in accessible boxes no hidden splices etc. The electrician did mention it may shorten the lifespan of the LED ceiling lights a little bit due to heat build up, but if that happens they can easily be replaced.

Will post some more pictures when I get a chance.

Steve

Thanks alot Steve! Great thread !! Awesome looking build, I appreciate the follow up as well. Hope all is well!
Gigalittle

Post by Gigalittle »

Here are some more details of the boxes as the drywall was being installed. I took care to re-caulk and make sure they were airtight as the first layer went on.
Caulk the Box.jpg
Caulk the Box 3.jpg
Ceiling Boxes Covered.jpg
Steve

Gigalittle

Post by Gigalittle »

More Pics...
Drywall 1.jpg
Drywall in Progress.jpg
Drywall 2.jpg
Green Glue.jpg
Control Room Drywall.jpg
Protect the Snakes.jpg
Drywall Done.jpg
Control Room Drywall Done.jpg
Steve

Gigalittle

Post by Gigalittle »

Recessed Lights Installed:
Recessed Lights installed.jpg
Steve