Flush mounting the subwoofer as well

Forum for all aspects of speakers and speaker design.

Moderator: Aaronw

FriFlo

Flush mounting the subwoofer as well

Post by FriFlo »

While slowly coming to the point of figuring out my control room the last thing I didn't find a solution for that really made me happy is the subwoofer. I only have about 3.30m width in my room (see my other posts). Under the speakers I build iso boxes for PCs and gear with glass doors I have to be able to open ... so, where to put the sub.
I know one usually tries different locations for the sub to find its best spot. However, with the given conditions and the restraint space, there is not much choice left, if I would follow other typical guidelines for placement:
- about the same distance as the monitors
- close to the speakers

This pretty much leaves me with putting it somewhere around the area under the center speaker (not completely in the middle axis of course!). So, I thought, why the heck not flush mount it along with the speakers? What I like about that Idea is there won't be a huge chump to stumble over behind the desk. I feels nice and tidy.
If I would find a space under the center speaker, where the sub sounds good, what would speak against soffit mounting it, too?
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Re: Flush mounting the subwoofer as well

Post by Soundman2020 »

I find that subs seem to work out OK when placed on the floor at the front of the room, between the mains, slightly offset to one side or the other, then move it around a bit and fiddle with the controls to get the best performance. Use REW to do that, of course.
This pretty much leaves me with putting it somewhere around the area under the center speaker (not completely in the middle axis of course!).
Right!
So, I thought, why the heck not flush mount it along with the speakers? What I like about that Idea is there won't be a huge chump to stumble over behind the desk. I feels nice and tidy.
You MIGHT be able to do that, but many subs radiate in more than one direction: some are ported underneath, or in other strange directions. I'm not so sure that soffit-mounting a sub is the way to go.

- Stuart -
FriFlo

Post by FriFlo »

Thanks, Stuart! I got the Adam Sub 10. It is front ported, so it should be possible, right? Well, it certainly is a risk, I'll give it some thought ...
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

Actually, the Sub-10 is BOTTOM ported: the reflex tube fires downwards, through the bottom panel, between the feet...

- Stuart -
FriFlo

Post by FriFlo »

Foto.JPG
MK 2 is. I have got the older MK1 model. That big hole on the front is the port, isn't it? ;-)
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

OK, that is an older model! A bit different from the current version. So there's nothing underneath that? No feet, and nothing facing down?

- Stuart -
FriFlo

Post by FriFlo »

Nope, it's just the front port. However, I could meanwhile get rid of the idea of a rack space under the center speaker. This will enable me to include more hangars and therefore more bass trapping. Since there doesn't have to be any access to the area under the center speaker, I will now probably just put it on the floor and decouple it with some sylomer under it.