Connecting up all my Multicore Cable - help

What is three phase electrics? how do I wire a patchbay? ask all your techo questions here.

Moderator: Aaronw

hally

Connecting up all my Multicore Cable - help

Post by hally »

Hi,

I have a few questions about the audio cabling in my nearly complete studio... My setup is as follows...

There are 64 channels of xlr, headphone lines, data, unbalanced instrument lines and speakers lines going back to the Control Room from my three tracking rooms. In each of the tracking rooms there are wall boxes with the relevent plug connections.

My questions...
What is the standard practice with regards to these cable lines when they arrive back in the Control Room. I will be using various outboard pre amps and my 32 channel Soundcraft 6000 anologue console(without patchbay) to record through and into my Daw. Headphone mixes will be performed via the aux on the consoles. Mixing will be done through the console.

Should the multicore cables be terminated in a wall or floor box and pre amp inputs, console inputs, headphone sends, etc get connected to these boxes?

Is it better to hard wire the multicores into patchbays?

Or perhaps some other setup?

Do the wall boxes/ plates have to be earthed in each of the tracking rooms and the control room and if so how do i go about this?

Thanks for taking the time to read my question

regards
hally
Last edited by hally on Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Re: Connecting up all my Multicore Cable - help

Post by Soundman2020 »

Is it better to hard wire the multicores into patchbays?
That's the way I would do it, for a setup that size.

- Stuart -