Isolated Ground Power Strip

What is three phase electrics? how do I wire a patchbay? ask all your techo questions here.

Moderator: Aaronw

camistan

Isolated Ground Power Strip

Post by camistan »

At some point...I'll be building a rack stand for my rack-mounted equipment. I wanted to know how efficient something like the Isolated Ground power strip below would be, compared to a regular 1 duplex receptacle (In a Star Ground System)

On my 2 gang receptacle BOXES, I was going to use two duplex receptacles and run a seperate Isolated Ground to every duplex receptacle. That would be one individual Isolated Ground wire for every duplex receptacle (2 plugs).

On the power strip, it looks like the one single Isolated Ground connection would run/be available for the grounding pin on all 7 duplex (2 plug) receptacles. (By the way, the power strip is to be hardwired)

Would there be better grounding for the single duplex receptacle (2 plug) with 1 Isolated Ground to it, or would the 7 duplex (2 plug) receptacles with 1 Isolated Ground wire for all the ground pins be just as efficient?

Below is a pic of the power strip and here is a link to the web page for the power strip...
http://hermanproav.com/product/27618/11 ... nd-Outlets

Thanx!
Take Care and GOD Bless
Stan
Speedskater

Re: Isolated Ground Power Strip

Post by Speedskater »

The great Middle Atlantic paper covers this.
See pages 47 to 50.

"Integrating Electronic Equipment and Power into Rack Enclosures"
'Optimized Power Distribution and Grounding for Audio, Video and Electronic Systems'

http://www.middleatlantic.com/pdf/PowerPaper.pdf
Kevin
Aaronw

Post by Aaronw »

That's an excellent resource Speedskater. Hi Camistan! Hope you're doing well. haven't talked w/ you in awhile. Basically, according to the MA spec sheet for a technical ground, when you run your wiring, you need the following:
Black (hot)
White (neutral)
Green x2 (one for tech ground of the isolated outlets, and one for safety ground in the box and/or rack).

If you're running a subpanel or star grounding scheme you can have two separate ground bus bars, but ultimately, they end up on the same ground bar in the main panel. Refer to the drawing on page 47 I think it was.

Chat later...

Aaron
camistan

Post by camistan »

Hey Speedskater, GREAT info!! This info answered other questions I was wondering about also.
Thanx!

Hey Aaron! Long time my man!...Does Steve ever come on here or even Rod (who wrote the book)? I feel real "gray haired" when I come on now! If you can, help me out on this topic...

http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewt ... 16&t=18485

Thanx!
Take Care and GOD Bless
Stan