I wish I found This forum before I started to build

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

Lbc

I wish I found This forum before I started to build

Post by Lbc »

I am building my studio upstairs in a 50 X 30 foot barn. I have a control room and two recording spaces + an entrence area and a bathroom. the interior walls are double 2x4 walls however I could only afford (space wise) a 2" space between the walls. I plan on RC and multiple layers of sheetrock. Recently I met with my hvac contractor and he suggested blown cellulose insulation for its temp. insulating qualities. This bring up two questions to me. 1) what are the acoustic proporties of this type of insulation and 2) what ever type of insulation I end up using to fill the interior walls, With the spacing described above should I treat the space as one wall and fill it completely or fill each 2X4 wall and leave the 2" space in between the walls. Thanks in advance for your replys.
z60611

Post by z60611 »

Sprayed celulose tends to stick and stay, but I thought that blown celulose tended to settle and couple the inner and outer leaves of a wall reducing it's sound isloation ability.

Do you mean
three layers of drywall, then RC, then 2x4 studs with blown insulation, then drywall, then 2 inches of airspace, then drywall, 2x4 studs with blown insulation, then exterior barn sheething ?
(to much weight on the RC, quadrulple leaf wall, coupled insulation)

My preference is
two layers of drywall, then 2x4 studs with 3pcf rigid rockwool insulation, then 2" airgap, then 2x4 studs with 3pcf rigid rockwool insulation, then exterior barn sheething. Steel studs can be ok too, depending on what kind of load you need (cabinets, load bearing wall, room-in-a-room, etc)

Are any of these walls totally indoors? Can you make a picture?
rod gervais

Post by rod gervais »

LBc

sketch of what you are picturing sure would be nice.

As far as the insulation goes - there really isn't much advantage over standard fiberglass insulation with anything else you can use as an option - the 3pcf rockwool that Z is refering to may give you a wee bit of an edge in lower frequencies........ but that is just a tad.......

A 2" air space is fine - so frame both walls and insulate them - leaving the air space.

Ror
Ignore the man behind the curtain........
Lbc

Post by Lbc »

I will post a floor plan as soon as I can convert it to a form that I can post. The framing is already up, walls described are intreior, 2 2x4 wood studded walls seperated by 2"
Lbc

Post by Lbc »

HERE IS AN IMAGE OF THE FLOOR PLAN i hOPE[/img]