Advice sought on lighting choices

What is three phase electrics? how do I wire a patchbay? ask all your techo questions here.

Moderator: Aaronw

martindupras

Advice sought on lighting choices

Post by martindupras »

I'm in Bristol, UK.

To make a long story short, my studio build which has been halted for about four years is resuming and getting completed in the coming months.

One thing I'm not at all sure about (because the world changed since I spec'ed the studio, about four years ago) are the favoured options for lighting.

I will have a control room and a live room, each of which is planned to have several banks (say 8 to 10 each) of ceiling downlighters, each bank on a switch, not dimmers.

Since the prices and availability of different types of lighting and lighting bulbs seem to have fluctuated quite a bit, I was wondering what people generally recommend right now as relatively low-cost in terms of purchase, installation and maintenance.

I was originally going to have MR16 fixtures like I have elsewhere in the house, but I'm finding that I get a lot of bulb failures, and some of my my transformers have failed too. I'm currently thinking that I may be better off getting a lot of low-voltage track-lighting on the ground thats I can have the transformers in a serviceable area, and that track lighting represents relatively few and small holes in the ceiling.

Thoughts?

Many thanks.

- martin
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Re: Advice sought on lighting choices

Post by Soundman2020 »

A lot of studios are moving to LED lighting these days. It is still a bit on the expensive side, but you can get some very cool effects with it. Low power consumption, low heat, and very long life, too.

- Stuart -