Installing walls for a recording studio

Find out where to get building materials in your local area. If you find a good outlet post it and others will be able to access it through the search engine.

Moderators: Aaronw, John Sayers

melodyjones

Installing walls for a recording studio

Post by melodyjones »

Hello,
I am building a recording studio in Spotsylvania, VA. We have one wall that has the HVAC unit on the other side. We are going to add rubber mounts underneath it, and actually re-route all the vents into the booth and the mixing room from another HVAC unit at the other end of the house.

I am trying to learn if I need to decouple the studs from the concrete floor. We purchased bath-tub rubber to cut and put green glue underneath so that it would decouple the 2X4 that nails along the floor. Then we are building a room in a room. We are planning to use two 5/8" sheetrock walls with green glue inbetween the sheets.

Do we need to Decouple more by adding g-clips/iso-clips and hat track?

I have heard that resilient channel is not as good as iso-clips and hat track? Is that true? Where do you get hat track?

Would it help to stop more noise if we added MLV on the studs, then iso-channels, then sheetrock/GG/sheetrock? Or do we even need the MLV?

The ceiling is already there, so we are trying to drop another ceiling down to stop the floor noise from above.

Was also wondering if rockwool would be best to use, since we are in the basement with moisture? Also have learned that the spray insulation is the best noise stopper. What is the best spray insulation to use?

Where is the best place to get the door seals to secure no noise transmission thru the doors?

Want to sing in the studio and do VO. Can I put down a wood floor with a carpet over it for the different uses?

Thanks for your help
Melody Jones