Soffit mounted CR speakers what to get?

Forum for all aspects of speakers and speaker design.

Moderator: Aaronw

ReneO

Soffit mounted CR speakers what to get?

Post by ReneO »

I've been looking for a while now and not sure yet what to purchase I have a really small CR
And need a pair of monitors
My store here doesn't have all the models that I'm looking at so it's hard to compare apples to apples.
I plan to add a sub later on more than likely a DIY. I used to build them when I was still in Canada:-)
Here are the choices I've narrowed it down too
Focal CMS 40's
KRK VXT4's
Adam a3x's
What are you experiences / suggestions
I'm leaning to more the top two because of shielding
And clarity
But it's still close between both I haven't been able to listen to both side by side to compre
Thanks for your help. Rene
ReneO

Re: Soffit mounted CR speakers what to get?

Post by ReneO »

The more I research the more I think the Adams and Focals aren't for me.
Anyone have a pair if Yamaha msp5 studio speakers
What are they like?
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Re: Soffit mounted CR speakers what to get?

Post by Soundman2020 »

You didn't mention how big your control room is, or what the design concept is, so it's hard to say what might be good for you. But I imagine that it is a very small room, since none of those speakers would be much use in a large room.

But the KRK VXT4's are unsuitable for soffit mounting, for two reasons. First, the shape: It won't be easy to cut thick, heavy plywood to match those curves. Not impossible, but certainly not easy. And second, there is no bass roll-of control on the rear panel, which is essential for a good studio monitor (IMHO). If there is no built-in control, then you'll need to do that externally, with a cross-over or parametric equalizer that is phase-linear. Sure, you COULD do that, but why complicate your life? It just makes more sense to get something that already has the control built-in. No extra cost, and it is already set for the correct frequency range: no need to calculate or measure.

The Focal's seem to have bass roll-off, although their web site is a total disaster! Try finding a manual for one of their speakers :shock: :!: The problem is, from the little info they have about the CMS 40, it looks like the roll-off only goes to -2dB! So that's no use for soffit mounting. Here too you would have to buy an external cross-over or equalizer.

And even though I'm a big fan of Adam's, those little A3Xs suffer from the same issue: no bass roll-off.

I would consider moving up-scale a bit, and going for the Adam A5X, which has everything you need (including the bass roll-off), and is an excellent little speaker. Those ART tweeters are pretty amazing for clarity.

- Stuart -