Need Advice Tackling Guitar Hum

What is three phase electrics? how do I wire a patchbay? ask all your techo questions here.

Moderator: Aaronw

Warrior

Need Advice Tackling Guitar Hum

Post by Warrior »

I'm getting some hum from my guitar in my studio and I'm 99.9% certain it's not my guitar, Axe-FX (amp) or even my cables. I suspect it may be due to sitting near my computer monitor and/or my macbook.

The reason I suspect this is because it subsides if I rotate my guitar. Not neccesarily just turn the other way but if I rotate it. Changed cables to verify it's not them.

Or.... could it be my dimmer for my lights (even though it's all the way up) ?

Any advice would be appreciated.

My signal chain is guitar>Axe-FX>DAW via USB.
I've been playing guitar for over 40 years.
Small Personal Recording Studio
I compose and record almost everything on my own.
Guitars are recorded direct via Axe-FX III.
BriHar

Re: Need Advice Tackling Guitar Hum

Post by BriHar »

This problem is not uncommon. You're right, it could be any of the things you mention. You'll just have to try a process of elimination to discover what it is exactly. Cure will of course depend on the culprit but either elimination of dimmers or replacing them with variacs or line adding line filters, or perhaps replacing any CRT monitors with flatscreens.
Brian
As you slide down the bannister of life, may the splinters never point the wrong way...
Warrior

Re: Need Advice Tackling Guitar Hum

Post by Warrior »

did the simple test of turning off the lights (dimmer) and still had the hum so it must be something else. I'll go through the process of elimination and see what thay yields.

Thanks.
I've been playing guitar for over 40 years.
Small Personal Recording Studio
I compose and record almost everything on my own.
Guitars are recorded direct via Axe-FX III.