Underground ground rod connection issue

What is three phase electrics? how do I wire a patchbay? ask all your techo questions here.

Moderator: Aaronw

dufo

Underground ground rod connection issue

Post by dufo »

My power to a detached garage (3 phase) has its ground rod buried in the concrete outside the door. No visable wires so I can only presume it runs under ground and into the service panel. What can I do to get my star ground connected to the rods? Can I simPly patch it into the earth wire at the back of the panel ? Thanks
dufo

Re: Underground ground rod connection issue

Post by dufo »

I forgot to add, I ask this as there is no ground buss bar in my service panel.
Speedskater

Post by Speedskater »

The ground rod into Mother Earth is there for safety from thunder & lighting storms or if the power company has a real big problem. The green safety ground wires (EGC or PE) should be connected near the breaker panel at the building service entrance.
Kevin
dufo

Post by dufo »

Yeah , but can I Splice my star ground to it?
Speedskater

Post by Speedskater »

Now that I don't know! I'm some 12 000 miles away so I just can't pop in. There are many different ways to wire a three phase system. How are the other circuits connected to Mother Earth?
Kevin
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

recommend you get a licensed electrician to look at this. not having a ground in the service main is likely a serious issue. and you should only have a single earth ground (unless you have it engineered for another purpose - which it sounds like you do not).
Glenn