Connecting mic-pres with 3 different rooms -without patchbay

What is three phase electrics? how do I wire a patchbay? ask all your techo questions here.

Moderator: Aaronw

mariojunicic

Connecting mic-pres with 3 different rooms -without patchbay

Post by mariojunicic »

Hi everyone,
How should I connect multiple mic-preamps (outboard) with few patch panles (in different rooms and different cable lengths) and have option to connect any mic in any room to any preamp from iso-room, studio room, control room.
I would like to avoid XLR patchbays here and keep it simple if is posible.

Here are some of my ideas. I think that all should work (somehow) - but which is the optimum/best?
Mic connections with 3 rooms.jpg
24ch total
Cables length : from rack with mic preamps
1 - 2m to reach control room patch panel (this will be used for guide tracks)
2 - 5m to reach iso-room
6 - 12m to reach studio room
so, is one cable would be used - total length would be 12m
but on the way there it should be also connected at 2m and 4m (e.g.) if daisy chaining is recommended.
All room are in series and patch panels would be in the same line - so it could be connected as #1 option at pic.
#1 option would be best for me - but is there any problem that I don't have in mind?

Usually people would go for XLR patchbay but that is also theoretic degrading sound
so the main question here is:

Is it better sound-wise daisy chaining or install XLR patch bay?

Thanks for any info.

Mario.
Speedskater

Re: Connecting mic-pres with 3 different rooms -without patc

Post by Speedskater »

A balanced analog audio XLR interconnect system is very robust. The length of the cable on the output of a mic pre-amp should not affect the audio quality. Daisy Chaining the patch panels should not affect the audio quality either but the more wire connections the more chance of getting it wrong.

I like your system #4 because it gives you more control. With the other systems you could have unintended units still plugged in but forgotten.
Kevin
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Re: Connecting mic-pres with 3 different rooms -without patc

Post by Soundman2020 »

Yep. Number 4, for sure. It also gives you more flexibility, in being able to patch between rooms if needed.

(If you wanted to get really fancy, you could put in a routing switcher... :) )

- Stuart -