door and sound proof glass

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

surge

door and sound proof glass

Post by surge »

Good day all

I have been building a studio with some freinds. This site has helped great and now the only thing needed is a door and sound proof glass.

what kind of door would be good for this? Could I make one?

I also need glass that is sound proof, what options do I have for this?

thanks.
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Check out the "sticky's" - there's a thread there on DIY doors -

Glass - first, there is no such thing as sound PROOF, any more than there is such a thing as "bullet proof" - by that, I mean that you can put on a "bullet proof" vest, and I can go get an elephant gun, and voila - no more bullet proof - same with sound. What we can do, is called sound attenuation. The amount of attenuation you can get depends on several factors - the mass and rigidity of the glass, which changes with glass type - the distance between the two glasses (using any other number of glasses is pointless, whether only using one glass or using 3 or 4 - two is the number.

Generally speaking, you want about 1/3 the thickness of glass in each side of a wall as you have gypsum (assuming that's what you're using) - this keeps the mass of the glass leaves close to the same mass of the wallboard, so isolation doesn't suffer much. The best glass to use (also more expensive) is laminated safety glass - the laminations are a visco-elastic membrane that raises the isolation value of the glass by several dB. It's also safer than other types of glass. The second best type of glass is float plate - cheaper per thickness than laminated, less safe, and not as good isolation per unit thickness.

Two glasses in a double framed wall should not be the same thickness, because they will have the same resonant frequency which will travel through both glasses with ease. Just as with wall paneling, different is good.

Check out the other sticky's here, there's a lot more information already posted... Steve