Health Risks For Mineral/Fibreglass Products?

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

sharward

Post by sharward »

Using "plastic" would not be good because you could end up with two vapor barriers, which could cause moisture to get trapped and then mold would develop.
"Converting a garage into living space requires a city permit . . . homeowners insurance won't cover a structure that's been changed without a building permit . . ." --Sacramento Bee, May 27, 2006
eyvindur

Post by eyvindur »

Yeah, I realize that now, after reading some more. But the glue thing should work, right?

Anyway, I asked around, and from what I gather the plastic is only required in living spaces, and since this will be an office space by definition it won't matter. I hope.
awilki01

Post by awilki01 »

eyvindur wrote:Yeah, I realize that now, after reading some more. But the glue thing should work, right?

Anyway, I asked around, and from what I gather the plastic is only required in living spaces, and since this will be an office space by definition it won't matter. I hope.
What glue/adhesive would you recommend?

My house has so much fiberglass insulation in it, I would think it wouldn't be that harmful.

You could place some of the following on your panels, but I'm not sure how polyester affect mid/high freq reflections:
http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.jsp? ... D=prd14437

Thoughts?

{edit}
I just made me a cloud with three 2x4 panels of Fibrex rockwool. The panels are covered in burlap with an extra layer of loose nylon on the back. Being that this stuff is about 6 feet above my head, should I be worried about fibers in the air? Wouldn't the burlap prevent the fibers (for the most part) from escaping?
jaaron

Health Risks For Mineral/Fibreglass Products?

Post by jaaron »

There seems to be contradictory statements regarding the use of plastic to wrap the fiberglass.

Some highly respected people have had good results, while others say it will result in mould.
Any further thoughts from those who have used plastic?

I am confident enough from what Rod has said to go ahead without plastic. But, an ounce of prevention...

Thanks,
Jeff
Ro

Re: Health Risks For Mineral/Fibreglass Products?

Post by Ro »

Here's a nice related threat from Gearslutzzzzz:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/bass-tra ... eview.html
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

The plastic serves two purposes.

1. If you have fibreglass or rockwool in the ceiling with a cloth cover above you over time you will notice a fine dust appearing over all your gear and console - it becomes extremely annoying as you have to dust everyday and it's not cool to have the dust in your faders etc.

2. The addition of plastic has the affect of retaining some of the high end (Air) in the room so even though you are deadening the acoustic response the highs still retain their life.

I originally started using plastic to solve No 1 but now use it achieve No 2. It used to be my secret but now it appears to have leaked out ;)
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

It used to be my secret but now it appears to have leaked out ;)
I hate to say this, John, but your "secrets" do seem to have the habit of doing that! And the home-studio world is a much better place for it!!!! :yahoo:

- Stuart -
amuduqerr

Post by amuduqerr »

Health is very important thing to live happy. It is absolutely great thread and I hope will get new interesting facts about this
Mikehollis

Post by Mikehollis »

Hi there, I know this is quite an old thread but I would like to reply to this since it is an informative thread. The risk factors behind those working in the construction field are more affected with asbestos related diseases. Here is a link to an article which describes this : http://www.asbestosnetwork.com/Exposure-Risks/. Thanks.
RominRonin

Post by RominRonin »

jaaron wrote:Any further thoughts from those who have used plastic?
I used cling film to wrap ceiling, first reflection and corner panels (internal treatment). Those panels remain rot free even now, after nearly 10 years - and it's a very humid environment in the winter.

That room was in Turkey, I bought a very long roll from a builder's wholesale shop for very little money.

I'll use the same method when I build/treat my next studio space here in Austria.