Monitor Stand Decoupling Question

Forum for all aspects of speakers and speaker design.

Moderator: Aaronw

Warrior

Monitor Stand Decoupling Question

Post by Warrior »

I am currently plaaning to build monitor stands using wood (top/bottom plates) and PVC tube filled with sand. I don't want to use spiked feet on my floor and I was wondering if/what rubber feet would work to decouple the stand from the floor?

Just in case, the monitor system I'll be using (purchasing soon) is the Blue Sky Pro Desk 2.1 system.

http://abluesky.com/products/prodesk-2-1/

Thanks!
I've been playing guitar for over 40 years.
Small Personal Recording Studio
I compose and record almost everything on my own.
Guitars are recorded direct via Axe-FX III.
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Re: Monitor Stand Decoupling Question

Post by Soundman2020 »

You don't really need to decouple the stand from the floor (but you can if you really want to!). What you DO need to do, is to decouple the speaker from the stand. That can be done with spikes, or simply with some types of rubber. Sorbothane is supposed to be good for that, but other similar types of rubber can also work, if done correctly.

- Stuart -
Warrior

Post by Warrior »

That's good news. But why do some monitors stands offer spiked feet?
RJHollins

Post by RJHollins »

Warrior wrote:That's good news. But why do some monitors stands offer spiked feet?
one reason might be for those using stands on a carpeted flooring to aid stability.

As for decoupling the monitor from the stand itself ...

I used a suggestion from 'someone', and grabbed a package of [don't laugh till ya try]

Dr Scholl's Messaging Gel shoe inserts. :shock:

I used just the heal section, cut it into 4 pieces, and placed those under the corners of
the monitor.

They were a definite improvement over the 'pad' I was previously using !

On sale cost was about $8.
8)
Warrior

Post by Warrior »

I didn't laugh.... really. (Why is my nose growing?) Lol.

Hey, if it works, why not!

What about the Auralex MoPads?
monstertraxstudio

Post by monstertraxstudio »

Will high density foam work as well? Like 30 ppi?
Restored Amek Big 44 console, ProTools HD 12 Native, EVE Audio Sc407 control room monitors, Dynaudio 12" Sub, 2 Uad Quad cards, origional CAD VX2 tube mic, Neumann U87 M149 Neve and SSL Mic pres, Studio by Stuart Allsop.
www.studio3productions.com
ToneAlive

Post by ToneAlive »

I am planning on using some Frost King foam and foil duct insulation that I have left over from what I was using on my ducts to dampen vibrations. You can get it at home depot or lowes. But actually it's the same material as the smaller stuff that looks like a roll of tape used for ducts as well. I was going to use two or three layers of it.
RJHollins

Post by RJHollins »

I should have stated this in my earlier thread ...

I first DID try other suggested materials, such as:

Carpet foam, rubber pad, mouse pad, pads that go on the bottom of chair legs, others ....

Didn't try the sorbathane ... so that withstanding ... the DrScholls 'Gel' shoe inserts work
much much better than anything else I tried.

Of course, you must consider the weight of the monitors in question .

For 2 of my monitor systems, HS80M's and Auratone Cube ... Gel'n :mrgreen:
kanita

Post by kanita »

The way I understand John's "rigid" comment, is that the entire soffit, and especially the front panel (baffle) must be very massive, solid, and rigid. The basic theory behind soffits is that the front panel it acts as an "infinite baffle", or an infinitely large extension of the speaker cabinet itself. Of course, "infinite" only in the sense of "very large with respect to the longest wavelengths". To do that, the panel cannot move, vibrate, oscillate, resonate, absorb, or do anything else but just "be there", in order to direct the low frequency sound in the same direction as the high frequencies: straight forwards, into the room. If the panel were to move, or vibrate, then it would be adding it's own tune to the sound, "coloring" it in some way.
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

kanita wrote:The way I understand John's "rigid" comment, is that the entire soffit, and especially the front panel (baffle) must be very massive, solid, and rigid. The basic theory behind soffits is that the front panel it acts as an "infinite baffle", or an infinitely large extension of the speaker cabinet itself. Of course, "infinite" only in the sense of "very large with respect to the longest wavelengths". To do that, the panel cannot move, vibrate, oscillate, resonate, absorb, or do anything else but just "be there", in order to direct the low frequency sound in the same direction as the high frequencies: straight forwards, into the room. If the panel were to move, or vibrate, then it would be adding it's own tune to the sound, "coloring" it in some way.
Plagiarism is a crime, kanita. Even on the internet. Did you think I would not notice that you have taken something I said over two years ago in the post linked below, and tried to pass it off as your own words?

http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewt ... 22&start=8

That's pretty low, even for internet spam trolls. And pretty stupid too. Did you really think I would not notice?

You are banned for one month for violating the TOS. If you do dare to show your face here again, stick to the rules of the forum, the rule of law, and the rules of common courtesy.

- Stuart -