Blaisebuild - basement renovations gone wild.

Discuss studios designed and built by others.

Moderators: Aaronw, John Sayers

Johnny Corvette

Re: Blaisebuild - basement renovations gone wild.

Post by Johnny Corvette »

Photo updates - CR framing going up. Finishing up VB interior.
Johnny Corvette

In the process of reviewing electrical plans one last time. I have been opposed to cutting any holes in ceiling (2x 5/8" drywall hung from hat channel hung from whisper clips hung from existing ceiling joists) for lighting fixtures. In the Vocal Booth we used hockey puck style under cabinet type LEDs. For that small space it works pretty well. In the CR I planned to employ some of those again but also some wall mounted up lights.

However, I have seen some new recessed LED fixtures that are pretty nice and seem to be fairly well enclosed. I was thinking it would be possible to seal these up pretty well and use them in the ceiling. Has anyone employed any of the new recessed LED's with success (I did see where Rod says he is using them) and what steps were taken to seal things up (i.e., chalk, puddy pads, closed cell foam, etc.).?

Also - I am putting this link here so I can find it later. Some real good info...

Thanks!

http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewt ... res#p73528
Johnny Corvette

More photos:
Johnny Corvette

Have not posted progress lately. Some additional pictures of progress so far.

Control room and vocal booth mostly done. Experimenting with doors somewhat. Installed a 1 - 3/4" solid core door in vocal booth and added a large 1/2 inch laminate (1/4+1/4) window. We wanted a large view of vocal booth but - this may be too big. Used 5/4 maple jam and used long screws into the 2x4 framing for hinges. These where a fairly cost effective door solution. All installed, gasket, maple frame, window, hinges, closer etc. likely still under $400. They appear to work adequately but, I need to seal things up a little tighter and do some measurement. This is just a test door. I am considering something heavier. My local glass people are reasonable for the lami but, only have up to 9/16th. The other door (this is a double wall system with 2 X 5/8th rock and green glue facing on each of the walls, shooting for 5.6+ PSF assembly) is just a slab for now and I will add a window there as well. Was thinking of a different thickness piece of glass as I have seen recommended but, 3/8th would be next step down, 9/16 the next step up. Or I could just go with another 1/2" piece. 3/8th seems to put me back under my wall mass of 5.6 PSF. Am I over thinking?

Low ceilings have been an issue for closers. This is why I am trying out the walk in cooler latch.

Also found out that 1 inch deep extenders for electrical boxes and not something easily found. I cut up the back of a second box to make a working electrical box that is deep enough for the two ayers of 5/8th sheetrock. Not sure how others have worked this out.

I also did not think through the screwing of the hinges through to studs on the CR walls that are not inside out. Stud has 2x 5/8th sheet rock plus green glue and is about as think as where the screw holes for the hinges go. Nothing to screw into but the door frame and then the sheetrock. Glad I used heavy maple door frames and jams but, I expect some sagging down the line.

At this point they have set up gear in the CR and are doing some mixing and recording. We will take a break and see how things are working. Then on to the third phase - the live area.
Johnny Corvette

They needed to use the mix room and vocal booth so those got done.
acanais62

Post by acanais62 »

Johnny Corvette wrote:Thanks again for the help - of course, like everyone, I always want more.

Had a couple seemingly small questions.

1) when adding mass between joists to existing ceiling deck we are using ledger board nailed to joists to hold drywall board in place, then adding bracing. Does the ledger board need to be run the complete length of the joist or is it OK for it to be just run at intervals assurances deces? We have been going the full length and that appears to be what the Rod Gervais books says but, thought I would ask.

2) thickest glass my vendor sells is 9/16" laminated glass (not sure what thickness the two laminated pieces are). Smaller sizes are fine (i.e. 3/8th) I bought a piece of 1/2 for one side of window in Iso booth. My plan was to install other half down the road, however, I am not sure I like that plan anymore (can not see a way to get a good tight wall framing around window doing it half now half later). My question is should I just go 3/8th on second side or would 9/16th be better? I was thinking 3/8 would suffice even though it is not quite the 3/8th and 5/8th Rod's book recommends for laminated glass equivalent of two sheets 5/8th drywall.

3) trying to assess the different clips and channel assemblies available and potential labor required. Are any one of the clip systems (isomax, whisper, Genie) easier to assemble than others? Is using Rc-2 directly attached to joists least labor intensive? I am having a little sticker shock after talking to several vendors of clips systems - I think I really underestimated the number I would need. So I am re-evaluating and leaning toward RC-2 attached to ceiling joists.

Thanks again.
C'est un sacré chantier ce qui s'y trouve à ce que je vois. Mais combien êtes vous à faire cela.
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

C'est un sacré chantier ce qui s'y trouve à ce que je vois. Mais combien êtes vous à faire cela.
Salut. Veuillez lire les règles du forum [url = http: //www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php? T = 3231] pour publier (cliquez ici) [/ u] [/ i] [/ Url]. Vous semblez manquer quelques choses! :)

[I hope that came out right in French! I don't trust Google Translate at all, so hopefully it's good enough that you can understand it...]

- Stuart -
JeromyReno

Post by JeromyReno »

This is great. Very motivating for my build.
Juraf16

Post by Juraf16 »

Johnny Corvette wrote:Ooooh. I guess that's true but I was actually considering NOT anchoring iso booth walls to the floor. My thinking is (was) to assemble walls together and securing top and just letting this small room sit on the cement floor. Seems small enough that it would hold together. However, I realize i might be dreaming and once door is on things might get wobbly carton déménagement. I figure I can always anchor if this doesn't fly. Other walls are anchored. Just was just gonna leave the iso booth loose. But, with anchors, I agree, rubber pad is kind of useless.

Thanks for getting me to rethink this.
I find this great idea, but the realization is not easy. Maybe you should ask for help.