Drum Room Construction

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

beeros05

Re: Drum Room Construction

Post by beeros05 »

exit2studios wrote:I feel like I just read a novel and someone tore the last page out of the book.

What ever happened with this saga??
Im gonna install electrics, ventilation and doors in the next two months
beeros05

Post by beeros05 »

Regarding the doors...

I will make (probably) 2 solid core doors triple plied MDF. The basic core will be 4cm thick, after that 3cm layer and another layer of 2cm.

I found neoprene rubber strips to seal the gaps and they are acoustically certified.

I also found this kind of door handle
Door Handle.jpg
I also thought for magnetic seals but they are very expensive and i have found any in Greece...

Instead of getting acoustic threshold i'll do the a bottom sill as the top.

What do you guys think?
owen23

Post by owen23 »

In building a drum room there should be use of two Solid doors opening away from each other used for entry. Use thirty six inch doors so the drummers don't have to struggle with the kick and floor tom. The window should be 2 panes of Plexiglases half inch thickness, to prevent the buildup of standing waves. This method provides approximately good isolation.

[SPAM SIGNATURE REMOVED BY MODERATOR]
Last edited by owen23 on Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

The window should be 2 panes of Plexiglases half inch thickness, to prevent the buildup of standing waves.
Actually, plexiglass is a lousy choice for studio windows: it does not have enough mass to isolate well.

Also, windows of any type also can do nothing to "prevent the buildup of standing waves", since standing waves are a direct function of the dimensions of the room, not the materials of which it is made.

- Stuart -
beeros05

Post by beeros05 »

I am going to order next week aluminum doors with triplex laminated glass.

The glass on the exterior door will be 1.5cm thick and on the interior 1.3cm thick.

The profile of the aluminum frame / casing will be with circumferential sealing mechanism.

The cost of the doors plus labor will be 1200 euros.
beeros05

Post by beeros05 »

Hi guys!

Today I installed the doors. I just came from the drum room. My brother was outside the room and told me that there is sth like 80% noise reduction. I have not done any measurements yet.

My parents do not hear me in the living room and a musician neighbor told me he could not hear a thing when he was at his balcony across my street.

:yahoo: : :finger: yahoo: :yahoo: So I can play 25/7 :yahoo: : :finger: yahoo: :yahoo:

Stewart, xSpace....you saved my ASS!
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

Excellent! :yahoo: Congratulations!

I'm SO glad it is all working out for you, after all the problems, heartache and expense you have been through!

And also glad we could be a small part of it. Success stories like this make all our efforts worthwhile: Helping someone who was going down the wrong path to get it right, is very gratifying. :)

So, now for the next part: How does it sound INSIDE the room? Do your drums sound clean, snappy, well defined? What are your plans for acoustic treatment?

- Stuart -
beeros05

Post by beeros05 »

Soundman2020 wrote:Excellent! :yahoo: Congratulations!

I'm SO glad it is all working out for you, after all the problems, heartache and expense you have been through!

And also glad we could be a small part of it. Success stories like this make all our efforts worthwhile: Helping someone who was going down the wrong path to get it right, is very gratifying. :)
:D :D :D
Soundman2020 wrote:
So, now for the next part: How does it sound INSIDE the room? Do your drums sound clean, snappy, well defined? What are your plans for acoustic treatment?
I have placed bass traps on all corners plus ceiling/wall corners. I have also placed broadband absorbers.
It is a bit "damped". I placed some panels but i had to many reflections so I placed some more.

I can hear my drums clearly except the bass drums. I mean i hear them but not as clear as the rest of the kit.

Its clear enough to do my job. I also do recordings there http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7znaEQ2Hgc
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

Its clear enough to do my job. I also do recordings there
:shot: :) :!: Oh yeah! Very nice. The room certainly seems to be working quite well for close micing.

How about some photos of the final, finished room?

- Stuart -
beeros05

Post by beeros05 »

Soundman2020 wrote: How about some photos of the final, finished room?
It is not finished yet! I need electrics and the ventilation system.

When I finish with these as well, I'll clean up and take some good pro-shots!
beeros05

Post by beeros05 »

Doors
IMG_2906.JPG
IMG_2907.JPG
IMG_2909.JPG
IMG_2910.JPG
IMG_2911.JPG
IMG_2917.JPG
IMG_2918.JPG
IMG_2919.JPG
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

Nice! Where do you get those doors? Very neat.

- Stuart -
beeros05

Post by beeros05 »

Soundman2020 wrote:Nice! Where do you get those doors? Very neat.
These are custom order Stuart.
You can order them from any company with aluminum profiles for doors/windows etc

The most important is to order a profile with circumferential sealing mechanism.
There are 2 types of this mechanism. One is for security (and more expensive) and the other one is for thermal insulation and sound insulation at the same time. Mine is the second one.

The triplex laminated glasses were ordered by the aluminum company after I gave them my specs.
beeros05

Post by beeros05 »

Sound Reduction Measurements

OK, so I called a drummer friend of mine, heavy hitter, in order to do some measurements.
I used the SPL iPhone app.

Here are the results and the Environmental noise 38db.
I did the measurements 3m away from the doors.

Level Type: Lp

Weight: Flat 43db
Weight: A 38db
Weight: C 43db
-------------------------------
Level Type: Leq

Weight: Flat 60db
Weight: A 50db
Weight: C 45db

I had no idea how to use it or calibrate it properly
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

Great! iPhone apps are not very accurate, since the mic and circuitry was never meat to be used for acoustic measurement, and most likely don't cover the necessary part of the spectrum, but at least it will give you some idea of levels.

I would go with the "C" weighting: 43 dB outside the room at 3m is pretty darn good!

How loud was it inside the room while your friend was playing? It would be very useful to know that, to get a rough idea of how much isolation you are getting.

I had no idea how to use it or calibrate it properly
Just hold it out at arms length, chest height, pointed upwards at an angle. Measurements are normally taken 1m from the wall, door, window, instrument, speaker, mouth. etc.

- Stuart -