Is the DDA D Series mic pre a Neve 1073 clone?

Get your "what mic?" frustration or "have you heard" out here. The language could get real okka in here mate.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

Alex BANKS

Is the DDA D Series mic pre a Neve 1073 clone?

Post by Alex BANKS »

Hello all,

I've got a DDA D Series and I'd like to know weather the mic preamps are Neve 1073 clones?

I've attached a .zip file of the schematics of the Neve 1073 and the DDA D series theater strip. I've had a look and they seem very similar, but my knowledge of electronics is not that great.

I used one of these desks on a session many years ago. We were making Drum and Bass and I was particularly impressed by the way the engineer was using the DDA inline with a Mackie 8 bus. He was saturating individual channels and the mix bus to produce a very useable distortion/compression effect. I was smitten and started to research what was what with DDAs.

During my research I spoke to a chap who used to make these desks and he told me that the mic pre was copied from the Neve. Would anyone here know weather this was the case please?

Having now had a DDA D Series for 7 years I am very happy with the mic input stage. I've recorded everything from Dixieland Jazz to Hip Hop and tracked using the DDA just as a pre amp. I have an idea that I may have the mic preamps removed from the desk and mounted separately (I would discard the rest of the desk).

Thanks,

Alex
Alex BANKS

Re: Is the DDA D Series mic pre a Neve 1073 clone?

Post by Alex BANKS »

OK, so would anyone know who I could contact regarding this please?

Thanks

Alex
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

I'd suggest trying the Gearslutz forum: Those guys are much more into equipment. This forum is more for people who want to design and build studios, not so much about what to put inside it. Although we do sometimes talk about that, it's not the main focus.

- Stuart -
Alex BANKS

Post by Alex BANKS »

Cheers for the tip Stuart, I'll try there and let you know how I get on.

Alex
RJHollins

Post by RJHollins »

if you would, post a link so that we can follow along!

thx
Alex BANKS

Post by Alex BANKS »

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/geekslut ... ost7275520

Turns out they are very different!

What an amazing site! There is a lot of talk about very expensive pre's v other very expensive pre's and I don't have the money/time to find out for myself.

To be fair, I like the pre's I have and I'll probably just buy some better mics. Incidentally, I've designed my studio from this forum and I'm now aware that the room the mic is in is the most important thing, then the mic and then the pre.

Alex
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

I'm now aware that the room the mic is in is the most important thing, then the mic and then the pre.
Yup! :) Very true. Put the best mic in the world into a lousy acoustic space, and you'll get a lousy recording. On the other hand, put even a humble SM-58 into a great acoustic space, in the hands of a good engineer, and you can have fantastic sound!
I've designed my studio from this forum
Cool! :yahoo: How about starting a thread with your design and build on it? That's what we're here for! :)

- Stuart -
Alex BANKS

Post by Alex BANKS »

Yes, I think I will.

I've completed the control room and in Jan 2012 I will work on the next recording room. The studio is in use right now...

If you are interested in mic pre discussions this is the long and the short of it: http://www.eqmag.com/article/debate-the ... g-06/22198

However, this is an amazing thread with lots of info for people considering high end pre's: http://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end ... -pres.html

Alex