Inside Out wall frame

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

LDQ

Inside Out wall frame

Post by LDQ »

Hi John,

Which is the correct way to joint 2 wall frames together in a corner...using your idea for insideout walls.

Please check the drawing. ABCD or none of the above :D

cheers,

Luis.
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

Luis - D is the best system IMO.

Check out my attachment.

cheers
JOhn
nukmusic

Post by nukmusic »

Would this type of wall have any STC? or would it just absorb some frequencies?
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

it has a good STC plus depending on the insulation will absorb down to around 250 hz - AND it's only 5" thick.

cheers
john
nukmusic

Post by nukmusic »

John, the reason I ask because I was looking to build my walls with it. I'll post another question in my original post.
AndrewMc

Wall Construction

Post by AndrewMc »

Attached is a drawing of my walls using Jon's inside out design. I just want to be certain I have it correct. At the moment just the external walls are in place and they have been all sealed with caulk (now that's an endless job doing the caulking!)

Jon had advised by phone to put up all the ceiling on the channel 1st - this makes it a lot easier - but I want to be certain that I have the top of the internal wall correct because normal construction calls for the top of the walls to be connected to the ceiling joists - but in this situation that isn't possible.

The wall guide at the top of the wall is an idea I had - gluing a strip of wood to the ceiling and nailing a strip along the top of the internal wall - total width the same as the wall frame. Then caulk all along it and lift up the wall so the 2 push together to form a good seal & also align the wall.

Haven't quite figured out how to handle angled corners but I'll post on that later with a few questions.

Thanks!
Andrew McMaster
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

that's correct Andrew as we disscussed - maybe Luis (LDQ) could fill you in on how he did his. Luis??

cheers
john
AndrewMc

Post by AndrewMc »

Cool - thanks John.

Just wanted to be absolutely sure I don't screw things up!
Andrew McMaster
LDQ

Post by LDQ »

that's correct Andrew as we disscussed - maybe Luis (LDQ) could fill you in on how he did his. Luis??
I've been busy the past two weeks so I haven't been surfing lately...any how....I think you have the right idea...some of the differences from the way I did my are:

1. I used 5/8" wallboard for all walls and ceiling. No 1/2"
2. I don't know if it is a good idea to just glue the wallboard on the ceiling since that stuff is pretty heavy. You should be fine using screws...just make sure you dont' short the RC1.
3. In my drum room's celing I did 5/8" 1/2"sound stop (Celotex) and 5/8" since it would be pretty loud in that room.
4. I did a floating floor and not floating walls.
5. Instead of your wallguide I used 1/2" foam. I glued it to the top of the wall with contact cement then once the wall was up in position I sealed it with calking. Check out some pics in the studio under constructions sections (S.Productions). I would think that using the foam there is less transmission from the wall to the celing. I also used metal brackets to joint the walls together... Structurally you shouldn't have any problems...Once you connect 4 of those walls together it won't move anywhere....that is if you could get them up. I needed 4 people to helpe put some of my walls up.

Any how hope that helps...

Regards,

Luis.

AndrewMc

Post by AndrewMc »

Thanks Luis - helps a lot.

I was looking at your pics - looks cool.

I wondered about putting cellotex inbetween the 2 layers od drywall.

Did you crank up the volume in the room yet?
Andrew McMaster
khallgren

Post by khallgren »

Sorry to butt in here, but this topic is relevant to what I'm working on.

Andrew--

What is the advantage to putting the two sheets of drywall on the exterior of the inside wall with the 703 between the studs, then the cloth? Why isn't the drywall on the interior of the wall?

I've seen John's "inside-out" wall design mentioned in several posts...where is this described?

What's the stc of this design? It's exactly what I was planning on except for the location of those interior two sheets of drywall.

Also, if I use steel studs for the interior walls would it make sense to use resilient channel? The steel studs have inherent resiliency so is it un-beneficially redundant to use the rc1?

I've been lurking on this board for a while and have learned a ton so far. I just need a few blanks filled in for me...Thanks for any help you could give.

Kraig
AndrewMc

Post by AndrewMc »

Hi Kraig,

I'm in the same boat as you really - just learming all this stuff. John's inside out design is in the SAE site. The design makes sense although I cannot attest to the STC because I haven't built the wall yet.

With the inside out wall - you still have the 2 detached wall masses with a decent size air gap inbetween. The only real difference is you have a smaller air gap - but you save space in the room because you can use the internal of the inside wall for treatment (the 703 + cloth replaces the additional frame you would have to build to hold the treatment). So i'd guess the STC is no worse than a traditional double wall design.

John is the best person to confirm. On the RC1 + metal channel - I have no clue really. If you build with the inside out design I'm guessing the rc1 would be redundant. From what I gather the main elements are to make the 2 wall masses as massive as possible + the air space in between.
Andrew McMaster
Sen

Post by Sen »

would having a normal wall (not inside out design) and a separate angled frame inside give more flexibility with absorption, considering that it would give you a variable depth between the wall and the "treatment wall"(assuming you have enough space to play with). I guess with inside out design you're stuck with one depth (the thickness of the stud)...John, Steve...anyone??
Kind regards
Sen
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Guys, remember that John's inside-out wall was originally a band-aid for situations where there was a need for STC and acoustic treatment without having the proper room for both. The number of studios that have been built with this technique attests to its usefulness - however (it seems there's ALWAYS a "however", doesn't it?)

If you are NOT short of room, as in you're building from scratch and not trying to cram Electric Lady Land into a 5' x 7' bedroom with a 6' ceiling, then I'd do things more conventionally (if there is such a thing in acoustics) - the deeper the air space in a mass-spring-mass wall construction (all other things being equal) the softer the "spring"/air space, and the better the wall performance. The more mass in each leaf, the better performance. For this reason I'd only go with inside-out if there wasn't enough room to go with brute force or if I didn't need really good isolation. (I'm sitting here typing this while listening to my neighbor's lawn mower, which is louder from 200' away outside than two computers which are in the room with me - one of the 'puters has 5 hard drives and 7 fans in it, and the case is off, and the lawnmower STILL wins, so guess which way my new facility will go?)

About the only thing I'm not settled on for my own outer wall designs is this - what would be the difference in STC between the following -

1. 8" concrete/2 layers wallboard/8" air with rockwool/ 3 layers wallboard

or

2. 8" concrete/4 layers wallboard/8" air with rockwool/ 1 layer wallboard?

I've yet to see, hear or read what the difference in STC would be - the reason I'm wondering is that too stiff an inner leaf WILL have an effect on the trapping required, so if moving the extra layers from the inner leaf to the outer leaf wouldn't change the STC much, I'll probably do it.

Sen, you're right about being stuck with the stud depth on the inside-out way. However, Barefoot brought up the point in one of the acoustics threads about variable depth only working for a slot resonator if you put septums between each slot (or group of slots) , because the wavelength of the affected frequencies is longer than the distance between slats so it averages out. I guess if you had a really long slot absorber that might be less applicable, but you'd be better off asking Thomas about that... Steve
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

Guys - I don't have any specs on the inside out wall other than having built Left Bank entirely with that system.

In fact Left Bank defies theory regarding airlayers etc.

The building I started with is a typical 2 storey US barn. 4 x 2 stud frame with and external cladding made up of 6 x 1/2" hardwood laid vertically with 2 x 1/2" battens over the joins. They had warped in the sun so were not airtight, so I disregarded it as a soundproof wall. I clad it internally with a layer of 5/8" drywall and the ceiling was the same except I put it on RC. I didn't bother with the expense of putting any insulation in the outer wall cavity, (did in the ceiling) so the only insulation was on the back of the internal walls in the air cavity as per inside out walls.

When it was finished I fired up the genelecs in the control room and turned them flat out. Sounded great BTW, still do, and then went outside to see if I could hear them. Once out of the building they immediately dropped in level and when I was around the corner and down the side they had vanished. I then went to the rear and the client was there chatting with the next door neighbour. I chatted with them and then pointed out that the monitors were at full tilt - they could hear nothing. That was way above my expectation - I expected at least low end getting through.

So why?? - I suspect it has to do with the properties of the air gap. In all lab tests the air gap is contained in the structure top and bottom whereas in Left Bank it is open to the whole space above the rooms which is a large airspace because of the angular ceilings. I suspect the sound dissapates into this cavity in preference to going through another mass in the outer drywall, hey but I'm no scientist :lol: :lol:

any ideas??

BTW I visited Armirel at Left Bank the other day. He loves the studio and adores the genelecs. He said, "mate , I'm no engineer I'm a muso so I just put mikes over instruments, set levels and hit record. I don't need to eq anything cos everthing sounds great." He was right - he played me some of his jazz sessions and they sounded fine. He's had some of OZ's finest jazz musos through the studio. He's also had clients up from Sydney who have worked most of Sydney's major studios. They bought their own Pro Tools setup and they reckoned it was the best studio they'd worked in, they loved it.

We are now talking about a left bank II as he's about to move to a better block of land with better views new house etc.

cheers
john