DIY flush mount speakers

Forum for all aspects of speakers and speaker design.

Moderator: Aaronw

zega

Re: DIY flush mount speakers

Post by zega »

Yes, that is a good call!
I did not listen to these drivers ever, so have nothing to add regarding that, and if you already purchased them, it is pretty much done deal.
Like i already mentioned, if you're going to need any help, i'm here (measurement and modeling tricks), and also i'm very interested to hear them in action when done, or even before.
Maybe that way i will change my mind about some of the issues that these drivers might have, or don't have (my wrong perception)...
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

Hey, Eric, just wondering if you ever actually built these speakers, and if so how they worked out for you?

- Stuart -
Eric Best

Post by Eric Best »

Hi Stuart, I'm still building rooms! I usually only get a couple of hours a week for construction so it goes very slow. I'm putting in the floor right now. As soon as I finish that, I will post pictures of the room. I don't want to build them until I get them flushmounted in the wall and I can use the measurements to design the crossover specifically for my room.

I changed the plan for the speakers because I won a pair of Hiquophon OW1 tweeters in a raffle! These are even better tweeters than I planned to use in the first place

http://www.hiquphon.dk/page4.html
"It don't get no better than this"
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

As soon as I finish that, I will post pictures of the room.
Naaah, don't believe ya! You know what they say around here: "Pics, or it didn't happen". So no pics.... :)

But seriously, why not post some "in progress" pics too, instead of waiting until it is done? It's always nice to have a record of how you built it, so others can learn.
I won a pair of Hiquophon OW1 tweeters in a raffle! These are even better tweeters than I planned to use in the first place
Lucky you! How come I never get that kind of luck??? :( But those things look real nice. What are you planning to mate them with for the mids and lows? Crossover around 1.5 to 2k, I guess?

I can't wait to see your place done, and see how your speakers work out. You're the one that got me hooked on speaker theory! :) No turning back now....

- Stuart -
Eric Best

Post by Eric Best »

I'm putting them with a pair of Tang Band W4-1337 and a pair of Dayton RS225s. The crossover will probably be around 3k and 500, but that depends on the measurements when I get them in the wall.
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

That should sound pretty awesome. I'm looking forward to this!

- Stuart -
Eric Best

Post by Eric Best »

OK, the control room is done, so it is time to build these speakers. I don't know what happened to the images in my original posts, but I have decided to go with my original choices for drivers. The woofer is the Dayton RS225-8, the mid is the Tang Band w4-1337 and the tweeter will be the SB Acoustics SB29.

The first step is to make the boxes.

Then measure the drivers in place with the boxes mounted in the wall, then the crossover design.

Hopefully sawdust will fly tomorrow. Here is my cabinet design.
Studio mains.png
Studio mains explode 1.png
Studio mains explode 2.png
Eric Best

Post by Eric Best »

I thought I posted this earlier, but here it is again.

Sawdust has flown.
Speaker carcass.jpg
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

Looks like it is coming together nicely!

- Stuart -
Eric Best

Post by Eric Best »

Here is the bracing. Everything is dry fit. The horizontal braces don't have the circles cut out yet.

The bottom speaker is shot from the front, and the top from the back.
Speaker carcass with bracing.jpg
Eric Best

Post by Eric Best »

Cut the circles in the horizontal braces this morning before work. This is looking so pretty I don't want to cover it all up!
carcass circle braces cut 1.jpg
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

Maybe you could make the front baffle from glass, instead of wood? :) Would be great acoustically! Just not so great on your pocket...

- Stuart -
Eric Best

Post by Eric Best »

$21/sq.ft. x 2.9 sq. ft. x 2 for 3/4" glass, that would be $120. I don't know how I would cut the holes for the speakers though, and who knows what kind of a rats nest the crossover is going to be.

I plan on cutting the font baffles tonight. That is the highest stress part for me in building a speaker, especially with baffles this big. One screw-up and the piece is trashed and you have to start over.
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

If you did do glass, you'd probably have to have it custom made... and it would be rather more expensive. Probably wood is the best choice. Pity that all your neat workmanship won't be visible, though!

- Stuart -
Eric Best

Post by Eric Best »

Baffles cut for the tweeters and mids. No major mistakes. Only have the woofers to go.
baffle with speakers.jpg