Sound for Picture - cabling

What is three phase electrics? how do I wire a patchbay? ask all your techo questions here.

Moderator: Aaronw

Rhino

Sound for Picture - cabling

Post by Rhino »

Can anyone offer advice on what sort of cabling / connectors I should install with sound for picture in mind?

My experience lies mainly in music, and the studio is designed mainly around that (CR, live room, vocal booth, iso booth, drum room). But I'll also be incorporating 5.1 mixing in the control room and will need to be ready to accept clients wishing to do scoring, ADR, foley, voiceover, etc.

I'm finalising my cabling plan ready for order, and have the obvious audio cable and cat5 sorted, plus the odd instrument, speaker,and USB.

What else do I need to incorporate? I guess each area and booth will need HDMI. But some of the cable runs will be quite long, up to 30m.
How about S-Video? I notice some Avid Mojos only have S-video.

What else is important that I might not have thought of?
Rhino

Re: Sound for Picture - cabling

Post by Rhino »

Nearly 100 views but no replies? I'll let you know what I've decided to do (right or wrong!) as it may help others.

- 1 pre-made HDMI cable from machine room to live room (it's a very short run) with panel mount feed-through HDMI sockets at each end. It's best to keep your HDMI runs below 30ft.
- Extra cat5 runs to each area. These can apparently carry HD signals and be terminated in HDMI sockets. I presume the same cable length limit applies.
- 75ohm coax runs to each area terminated in BNC sockets. I'll have a bunch of BNC to S-Video etc tails available. Should be a flexible solution!

Cheers
adam

Post by adam »

I think you're safe with lots of cat5/cat6.
Have a read about HDBaseT.
lilith_envy

Post by lilith_envy »

VGA, BNC, C/Y, BNC5.......
inkspotproductions
www.bantamstudio.info
Aaronw

Post by Aaronw »

What exactly are you trying to accomplish, what are your needs? Sorry for the late reply. You mention HDMI. Are you distributing video throughout your rooms or? Just trying to get a feel for what your design needs are.