found nationwide chain carrying 703

Find out where to get building materials in your local area. If you find a good outlet post it and others will be able to access it through the search engine.

Moderators: Aaronw, John Sayers

davidki

SPI and acoustic products.

Post by davidki »

I just talked to the Nashville store, they do not carry OC 703 I was told they sell a competior JM 814 spun ridged fiberglass (I'll be looking in to it)2 'x4' panel $77.00 for 12 sheets unfaced). I was also told that the Lexingoton Kentucky store is also an Acoustics distributor and carries OC so I'll be asking them the same questions.

Anyone else have any info on 703 or, any info on the JM?

I may just look for prebuild panels, anyone have pricing on prebuilts lately, I am using 2x4' panels as a refference when quoting this out.

Any suggestions, help or other wise information will be appreciated.
Cojonesonasteek

Post by Cojonesonasteek »

Most advice I read on this and other forums suggests that 4" 703 is the way to go for building bass traps, but my local Specialty Products outlet says that neither 703 nor 705 is made in that thickness (2.5" is the thickest). I know you can double up 2" panels but does anyone know of a competing product that's made in thicker panels (it must be cheaper than buying twice the amount of 2" 703, which is $1/s.f.). And would 5" (2.5" x 2) be even a better bass trap material?
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."

- Hunter S. Thompson
Bob Ross

Post by Bob Ross »

Cojonesonasteek wrote:Most advice I read on this and other forums suggests that 4" 703 is the way to go for building bass traps, but my local Specialty Products outlet says that neither 703 nor 705 is made in that thickness (2.5" is the thickest).
And my closest Specialty Products outlet (East Syracuse, NY...not exactly local) doesn't even carry OC products. Best they could offer was Johns Manville 2" thick/6lb density fiberglass board, both unfaced for $1.55/sq.ft and faced for $1.87/sq.ft. Minimum orders were 72 & 48 sq.ft. respectively.

But Owens-Corning definitely does make 4" thick 705 (6lb density) and this is the stuff that most folks seem to recommend for bass traps. Tri-City Insulation in New Jersey offers 4" 705-FRK (faced) for $2.50/sq.ft. I got the impression they didn't have a strict minimum order per se; technically speaking their minumum orders were in the 4500 sq.ft. neighborhood, but the seemed to have much smaller quantities on the warehouse floor at any given time which they would happily part out.
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Next person who says 703 isn't made in 4", print this out

http://www.owenscorning.com/comminsul/d ... Series.pdf

and show them the thermal performance chart for 703 up to 4" thick.

For the Portland guy - I talked to the Portland SPI rep on the phone a few weeks ago, they were very helpful. No OC, but they had 4", 4 PCF Thermafiber for $.81 a square foot. Paragon Pacific, 1-800-456-3275
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...
ChuckM

Post by ChuckM »

The Denver SPI doesn't carry Owens-Corning products :(
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Neither does the one in Portland, Oregon; ask what they have in mineral wool, slag wool, rock wool, etc, that's around 3 to 4 PCF density - those are usually quite a bit cheaper than OC stuff anyway... Steve
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...
ChuckM

Post by ChuckM »

knightfly wrote:Neither does the one in Portland, Oregon; ask what they have in mineral wool, slag wool, rock wool, etc, that's around 3 to 4 PCF density - those are usually quite a bit cheaper than OC stuff anyway... Steve
Thank you for the response.
Is there a Knauf Fiberglass product that is equivalent? They do carry the Knauf line.
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Print this page out for them; it's knauf's version of 703 (the 3 PCF that is)

http://www.knaufusa.com/products/commer ... mooth.aspx

HTH... Steve
ChuckM

Post by ChuckM »

Thanks again :)
daminato

ultratouch 2" 3lb panels made from compressed cotton 1.

Post by daminato »

New to this particular forum...Was looking for Bonded logic sound boards, (found this thread) which is what bonded logic calls them but you cant buy direct..I think some one(Acousticalsurfaces or ASI) calls them Echo Eliminator panels. Which is basically compressed Ultra touch insulation that doesnt need any fabric to cover because its safe, comes in different colors and hangs right on the wall with excellent NRC ratings.

acousticalsurfaces.com/echo_eliminator/wall_panel.htm?d=0

Im looking to buy this stuff cheaper and have to think someone here knows where to buy it wholesale...Every where I look keeps bringing me back to ASI and sister companies, do they have a monopoly on this stuff or what!? HEre is the direct link from the company that they get it from. I called over there and and of course they referred me to ASI! But the girl on the phone was really nice and its a semi new product.

bondedlogic.com/acoustical.htm

Here are the prices: But before shipping. about 44$ a panel
$352.00
Quantity Per Pack: 8
Unit Price: $352.00

buyacoustics.com/product_info.php/cPath/37/products_id/76

I cant post url's yet so you will have to copy and paste. U

DAMINATO
BusyBoxSt7

Post by BusyBoxSt7 »

for everyone complaining that OC can't be found at SPI, just buy mineral wool, it's cheaper anyway. If you wonder about it's acoustic properties see
www.bobgolds.com/AbsorptionCoefficients.htm

also understand that the mounting of absorbers effects it (post about that elsewhere though)
daminato

Post by daminato »

If you live in Chicago I found a place that can special order echoeliminator panels and I believe them to be cheaper then anywhere I found online, you still pay for shipping tho. I will keep you all updated when my order comes in as to the exact price.
DiBiYoSi

Post by DiBiYoSi »

Paragon Pacific/Certainteed, 1-800-456-3275
Mineral Wool
Thermafiber - 2.5 pcf. - 2' x 4' x 3" - $0.48 s/f
Rigid Fiberglass
OEM 600 - 6 pcf. - 4' x 10' x 1" - $1.13 s/f
OEM 600 - 6 pcf. - 4' x 10' x 2" - $2.17 s/f
OEM 300 - 3 pcf. - 4' x 10' x 2" - $1.08 s/f
OEM 300 - 3 pcf. - 4' x 10' x 4" - $2.76 s/f

Pure Distribution Of Oregon 1-800-863-1734
OC705 2" $2.56 s/f
OC703 2" $1.40 s/f
OC703 4" $2.81 s/f

Rose City Building Specialties - Tigard, OR 503/684-3187
Roxul Rockwool - 4” - $1.19

Mike
bombcode

Re: found nationwide chain carrying 703

Post by bombcode »

SPI CO Boston, MA --> 508 792-1133

Spoke with Donald. Seems like a good guy, knows about Owens Corning 703 and recording studios.

Price quoted for OC 703, 2 inch thick, 2 x 4 sheet (12 per bundle) = $1.22 per sqr foot
$1.22 x 96 = $117.12 (plus 5% sales tax) per bundle.

I told Donald that $117.12 is too much. I mentioned that I was willing to pay $70 per bundle.
He is looking into reducing the price for me.

If you live in Boston (or within driving distance) I encourage you to call Donald and talk to him. I think if enough people call and request lower pricing for OC 703/705 he may be able to justify lowering the price.

If anyone lives in Southern NH and wants to make a group buy for larger discounts please contact me --> http://www.bpstudio.com

- Sean
davidki

Re: found nationwide chain carrying 703

Post by davidki »

I just purchased a bundle of 2" here in the Nasville area at Insulation supply.. it was about the same that Donald quoted you.. good luck on getting a better price... how many bundles are you planning on purchasing? keep us posted.