Need help on designing studio

Plans and things, layout, style, where do I put my near-fields etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

bolehnggak

Need help on designing studio

Post by bolehnggak »

Hi,

I post some question about control room design a while ago. And now, I'm thinking of building a studio in my basement.

Here's a picture of my basement. The measurements are in meter units. The problems are that the grey-shaded area is 2.60meters high, and the unshaded area is 3.22meters. Also, there are some pillars that can't be removed, because they support the structure above the basement.

I'm thinking of a mixing room, with a studio which can acommodate drums, probably a vocal booth also, and a guitar amp room, so we can do live takes for our band.

Any suggestion?

Ari
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

It's a bit tricky with all those columns. No chance of removing the right hand column?? It's not as hard as one might think and it would dramatically increase your oportunities in this space.

I've redrawn it so it's not upside down and you can read the measurements.

cheers
john
bolehnggak

Post by bolehnggak »

Thanks for your redrawing. :)

Oops, there's a mistake of the drawing that I made. the right wall, is basicly not a permanent wall, it's the entrance of the basement, and it can be moved accordingly. Right now, it's a wall with a big entry at the northeast, with 2meters wide. I will post another drawing.

About the column, I try my best to remove the column, but still maintaining the structure above. It probably can be removed, but not completely, maybe move it to the right or left. Actually it only supports the roof.
The left columns, on the other hand, are supporting the concrete floor above it, that's why the height of that area is shorter that the right area. And those columns can't be removed.

Ari
bolehnggak

Post by bolehnggak »

Here's my first trial layout of the space. It's quite tricky with those columns. :?

The layout here is basic layout, so any adjustment can be made, and I need help from you guys.

The proposed control room is the rectangle one at the lower right. I know that most control rooms are not rectangles, so any inputs are welcome.

There are two rooms, the smaller room, which may be a vocal booth or iso booth for amps, and a bigger room. The drum is placed so people can imagine how big the room is. It too can be adjusted.

I'm thinking of 3 rooms actually, so we can accomodate live acoustic session with drums, because our band is consisting of drums, acoustic upright, guitars, and violin, and this is going to be our home studio, with occasional rental for additional benefit.

So, any words of wisdom. If there is any better layout, feel free. I'll be more than happy.

Ari
bolehnggak

Post by bolehnggak »

Oops, corrections!

The picture's already had three tracking rooms.

But I'm thinking of using the bottom left part of the space as a storage room for other stuff. After all, it's our basement, so we need storage room.

And the opening is at the bottom wall (south wall), although it wasn't in the drawing, and it can be moved across the south wall.

Ari
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

Ari - I really think you have to get rid of that pole - If it's holding up the ceiling a simple truss will fix it. Otherwaise you aren't going o get a decent speaker spread which ideally should be around 3 meters.

Then you could look at something like this.

cheers
john
bolehnggak

Post by bolehnggak »

I'll try to get rid of the pole in the middle of the space, but not the two poles at the upper part of the space, because they support the concrete second floor above, so the drum room will have two poles in it. Is it okay?

Can I make the control room smaller? The design you suggested is using two pairs of monitor, the big ones and the nearfields. I only have nearfield monitors (Auratone QC66), and if I really need other monitor, I can't afford those big ones, the cash is limited.

My recording studio is using PC DAW, with 1604VLZ Mackie mixer for preamps, and some other preamps going to MOTU 2408mkIII. So the space in the control room would be too big. Is this big size really neccesary?

Ari
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

Sure you can make it smaller, mind you , the bigger it is the better it will sound. Also try to make it angular as opposed to rectangular.

cheers
john
bolehnggak

Post by bolehnggak »

Here's my trial design. (Finally. :)) Comments please.

There's some details added to the picture. The poles can't be moved, they support the second floor.

This is only the layout of the studio. I'm hoping that anyone can give suggestion about acoustic treatment, and where to place it. Or if anybody has better idea of the layout, feel free.

And there's more. The room between the drum room and the studio has water pipes for the house, and it's also can't be removed.
Can I use the room as an iso/vocal booth? I'm thinking of covering the water pipes, so they're in a closet, which I can open sometimes for service.

Ari
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

That's really cool Ari - you've resolved the spaces very well. My only comment would be to add a window between the drum room and the main studio?? also - you really should consider building a soffit mount into the control room - you may get bigger speakers further down the track;)

cheers
john
bolehnggak

Post by bolehnggak »

Thanks John. I draw a picture of the soffit mounted speaker, is it right?
Few questions:
- Can I put glass window under the soffit, just like what I draw in the picture?
- The walls are going to be rockwools on frames, but the cost is quite expensive. And I'm thinking of using brick wall instead, and for sound treatment, just frames with stretched fabrics, which some are using rockwool underneath. It's going to be far cheaper. Do you think this is a good idea?

Ari
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

Yes you can put glass under the speakers Ari BUT have you considered the structural problems you will encounter?? The whole front will need to be cantilevered :shock: :shock:

cheers
john
bolehnggak

Post by bolehnggak »

Well no, still thinking about it, haven't decided yet.
How about the brick wall, can I use brick wall instead of rockwools on frames for the studio room, then after that, I put acoustic treatment on them?

Ari
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

Sure you can use bricks - cement mixer and all that!!
:roll: :roll:
make sure you bag both sides (seal with loose sand cement mix).

cheers
john
jeronimo

Post by jeronimo »

Wat do you mean by bag both sides???
Think Differente!