Advice on a patchbay layout

What is three phase electrics? how do I wire a patchbay? ask all your techo questions here.

Moderator: Aaronw

Funktion

Advice on a patchbay layout

Post by Funktion »

As the title says, I'd like some "third party" eyes to quickly check out this layout and tell me if they see something obvious I'm missing, or what could be done more efficiently?

Outboard is omitted from the plan on purpose, as for now they are wired up to their own bays. The layout is arranged in a bit of a funky manner, so that the first two rows are the left side of a patchbay and the next 2 are the right side of the patchbay. I marked them AL, AR, BL, BR etc. etc. to clarify it more.. AR for example being bay A, right side.
gullfo

Re: Advice on a patchbay layout

Post by gullfo »

are any of the balanced or XLR going to have phantom power running through them? (like mic preamps)? if so, you might be better served with an XLR patch panel because a regular tip-ring approach can short out if you're not methodical in turn off the phantom power before switching.
Glenn
Funktion

Post by Funktion »

gullfo wrote:are any of the balanced or XLR going to have phantom power running through them? (like mic preamps)? if so, you might be better served with an XLR patch panel because a regular tip-ring approach can short out if you're not methodical in turn off the phantom power before switching.

I was - for some reason - under the impression that the bay I'm using for the mic lines LINK would alleviate that problem through the selectable grounding schemes. If I'm wrong however, I might just consider getting an XLR bay for the mic ties from the rooms. And well, I have to say that pretty much every single studio I have worked in, from small ITB rooms to a big SSL room have all been running phantom through their patchbays with no problems. Of course phantom is to be turned on only after patching, but that comes from the spine for me :P
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

no problem using TRS patching so long as you are aware of the power concern and it sounds like you are...
Glenn