soffit mount two speaker systems.

Forum for all aspects of speakers and speaker design.

Moderator: Aaronw

LRRecords

soffit mount two speaker systems.

Post by LRRecords »

Hello, I have been studying this section of the forums and trying to get my head around soffit/flush mounting. It seems like the best way to go, especially to help eliminate rear reflections, comb filtering and improve bass response.

I enjoy monitoring on my various monitor and loudspeaker systems, and being able to switch between them. I was wondering if it is possible to soffit mount two sets of speakers into the same soffit wall? I have JBL 6208 powered near-field reference monitors which I would like to soffit mount with my Akai SW-157's 3 Way Speaker System.
Can I have both these systems adjacent to each other in the soffit wall?
As the JBL's are powered (switch on back, power unit is known to be a bit buzzy), can I leave the switch's on and power up via mains?

Here is some info and reviews on the speakers:

JBL 6208's:
http://www.jblpro.com/pub/recording/6208.pdf
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar98/a ... l6208.html

Akai SW-157's: T=1.5", Mid=5", W=12" 8 Ohm, 60 W max input.
http://www.vintage-audio.com.ua/en/cat/232/1496.html
http://www.mercadolibre.com.ar/jm/img?s ... 03.jpg&v=E

I also have my Bose cube speakers considering them as my near-fields, placed on the mixing desk with the Bose subwoofer underneath desk (makes a good producers foot rest). Or could I also incorporate these into the soffit wall?
http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/sho ... /index.jsp

Keen to get started on designing the soffits.
Check my design and planning thread:
http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewt ... 37#p113837

cheers :)
Little Rascal Records
'skank'n sounds for bassheads and dubbers...'
www.lrrecords.com.au
gullfo

Re: soffit mount two speaker systems.

Post by gullfo »

it is possible to do it by setting the speakers top-to-top to get the acoustic centers as close as possible.
Glenn
LRRecords

Post by LRRecords »

Thanks for your reply Glenn.

If I was to set the speakers top-to-top, would I have to angle the soffit down at the top for the top speakers to get the acoustic centres as close as possible? Has anyone already done this? Any designs, images or examples I can check out anywhere?

Little Rascal Records
www.lrrecords.com.au
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

in this case they are vertical but you could also do this in an angled soffit if you have to due to height or space considerations.
Glenn
LRRecords

Post by LRRecords »

Been working on the soffit framing design all day according to my specific speaker measurements. I have just re-found the (sub?)hole on the back side of the JBL 6208's! Does this mean that they are not suitable to soffit mount? They are stated to be a near-feild monitors in the specs-sheet provided by JBL (although they have the guts and volume to be mid-range), but I am now wondering about this hole on the back?! Are these speakers better off mounted on stands just behind producers/mixing desk? And I can still soffit mount the other speakers (Akai's and Marantz) behind these?

Once I can get my speaker soffits, layout/design sorted, I can get the rest of the room design finished!!!
Little Rascal Records
www.lrrecords.com.au
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

even though they are back ported and active powered, you can soffit mount them - just make sure you have enough venting to allow the heat from the amps off and you consider a switched power outlet so you can turn them on and off... i've never actually seen these models before but i found a review of them from long ago. if you are considering an upgrade down the road, maybe frame out for a larger speaker later then box it in for the 6208.
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar98/a ... l6208.html
Glenn
LRRecords

Post by LRRecords »

Thanks Glenn, checked out the detailed review, thanks for the link. Yeah the JBLs are getting old and probably not the most popular or best choice of monitor. I got them second-hand a few years back now for $600 the pair. Yep they have a nasty buzz, but beside that they are built tough, sound good and pack some power/punch. I have attached a pic of my soffit design to accommodate (from outside going in towards centre) the Marantz LS100s(4-way system), and the Akai SW-157s. Those are the JBLs I have put on stands behind the mix desk in the centre (not placed too well (been a big weekend on sketchup, and now Im starting to do damage - time for a break!)).

So I should be able to fit the JBLs into the soffit in the space just behind where they are now situated.?

In my soffit design the Akai SW-157s are placed best for the Mix position, as are the JBLs next, the Marantz acoustic centre is at the DJ position. I still have my Bose Cubes and subwoofer to place on/and under the mix desk, and maybe even setup the PA system speakers on the floor just outside the soffit outer edges. The soffit framing also incorporates a machine closet which will house the amp for the speakers, the switchboard for the powered JBLs and the PA amp (and probably other things).

To download the latest sketchup file of the LRR Studio (right click 'save as'):
http://www.lrrecords.com.au/Documents/LRR_studio_4.skp

Little Rascal Records
www.lrrecords.com.au
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

you could put the JBL into the soffit behind although with a wall of speakers it may not behave as well as expected - usually a max of two speakers positions top to top to keep their acoustic centers close would be stretching it... consider angling the surface of the desk 6° or a bit more. do not put any speakers on the desk - mount the Bose cubes on brackets up on the soffit and side walls and the sub near the room center (usually just one side or other of center is a good place to start)
Glenn
LRRecords

Post by LRRecords »

Thanks again Glenn! Yeah I think I'm going a bit overboard on the speakers. I have taken the Akai SW-157s out of the equation and put the JBLs in their rightful place on the soffits, being my main monitors. Still keeping the Marantz LS 100s 4-way speaker system and thankyou for the suggestion with the small Bose cube system mounted on the soffits!

So we have; JBLs for powerful workhorse monitoring and the Marantz and Bose for audiophile style hifi listening!! (still considering the use of the PA - for louder jams, etc),.

The Akai system can go live with the Technics system in the lounge (original home studio space). I forsee me acoustically treating this room one day in the future (after I actually build the LRR studio) for ultimate audio listening experience and another reference point for listening to mastering jobs.

Question?: Can there be too much width in a soffit to make it useless or severely affect its intended performance? Am I going too wide here with my design? If so, could I just bring in the soffit side edges as close to the Marantz outer edge/s as possible?

Things feel like they are starting to come together on the design front!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Little Rascal Records
www.lrrecords.com.au