Killatones, Thanks Thomas, these rock!

Forum for all aspects of speakers and speaker design.

Moderator: Aaronw

FearofDIYing

Killatones, Thanks Thomas, these rock!

Post by FearofDIYing »

I just wanted to offer some props to Thomas Barefoot for sharing his Killatone design here. I've just recently completed building a pair and I'm really pleased that I did.

Here's the boxes coming together, my mate Phil helped me put them together and so they are also now known as 'Philatones'

After a bit of sanding they looked like this, along with the components sourced from Madisound ready to be put together.

I also have a debt of gratitude to my father as he helped me with the circuit build, we ended up with something looking like this:

And finally in pride of place in the studio:

They were a lot more expensive than I anticipated (not least because I went for the upgraded drivers and then got stung for import duty in to the UK on top of the price), they are among the most expensive speakers I've ever bought! But having lived with them for a couple of weeks now I'm not bothered as they really are great. The stereo image is both deep and wide (when you're in the sweet spot, which isn't huge) and their midrangyness really helps sort out vocal levels against other instruments and there's no bass to distract you from the song ;-)

I've not yet decided on how (or if) I will decorate / finish them, I'm toying with the idea of wallpapering them..... If I get round to it I'll swing by with an update.

Thanks again, Thomas.

FearofDIYing

(mods, is there some rule I've seen about external pictures? If so how do I load these up so I'm not breaking the rules?)
gullfo

Re: Killatones, Thanks Thomas, these rock!

Post by gullfo »

nice work! maybe spreading them part a bit more and setting them behind your desk could improve things?
Glenn
FearofDIYing

Post by FearofDIYing »

Thanks Glenn,

I don't think I want to put them apart any further, they're about right where they are, so that when I sit back in my mix position I'm in the sweet spot, I don't think there's a lot of improving that needs to be done, they do exactly what they are meant to do (ruthless stereo and midrange detail) and they've really helped me appreciate the real low end from my PMCs! I'm still not over the incredible novelty of folding them down to mono and then flipping them back up again, it's like the best pop-up book you've ever read!

They've replaced 'the speakers of hate' (charity shop technics SB-HD310s) my previous reference pair and am I glad for it.

If you're thinking about building a pair of these, stop thinking and just get on with it, you won't be disappointing (unless you were hoping for booming sub bass ;-)).

FearofDIYing
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

ok... it's on my list of things to make for myself as well... enjoy...
Glenn