main monitors

Forum for all aspects of speakers and speaker design.

Moderator: Aaronw

rav

main monitors

Post by rav »

Hi all i have a pair of adam p11a as nearfield monitors and i´m thinking in the adittion of another monitors.

Do i need a pair of good main speakers or i can mix into the adams and purchase a pair of good hifi cheaper monitors to listen the mix on its?

Thanks in advance.
AVare
Confused, but not senile yet

Post by AVare »

Do i need a pair of good main speakers or i can mix into the adams and purchase a pair of good hifi cheaper monitors to listen the mix on its?
Sorry. Only you can answer that. Are you happy with how your mixes sound on other systems? If not, how good is your mix room acoustically? Are you and your customers happy with the levels your system can work at? What ever you consider good speakers, they will sound bad if the room's acoustics are bad.

If you look at speaker companies closely, you will see that there are many companies that sell identical products ,acoustically,to both the recording studio market and the hifi market. The only difference being difference being the finish on cabinets (Genelec, Paradigm, and PMC are just three companies that come to mind). Some companies have products that are mostly sold through he hifi market but are very highly respected and used in the recording studio market (B&W comes to mind immediately as an example of this). Both markets have good spekers and both have overpriced/inferior products.
rav

Post by rav »

Thanks Avare the adams are really fine for me, very quirurgical, great for mixing but not so confortable for my clients listen the mix. What i´m loking for is smother speakers to my clients listen the mix.

Thanks a lot.
barefoot

Post by barefoot »

rav wrote:...the adams are really fine for me, very quirurgical, great for mixing but not so confortable for my clients listen the mix. What i´m loking for is smother speakers to my clients listen the mix.
Mi español es muy malo! :D

quirurgical = surgical, clinical ¿No? :)

When you say "smoother" do you mean better at louder listening levels? Or are you just looking for a completely different sound from the Adams? Also, do you have a budget in mind?

Thomas
Thomas Barefoot
Barefoot Sound
rav

Post by rav »

Yes barefoot quirurgical= surgical. Also my English is so bad, it suposse to be english but ...

Ok what i want is a completely different sound and i don´t have a budget in mind but i´m looking for not to expensive ones.

Thanks a lot for your help barefoot.
barefoot

Post by barefoot »

You already have small nearfields, so it does seem that soffit mounted mains would be the next logical choice. Are you able to soffit mount? If so, maybe you'd like to participate in developing a Do-It-Yourself project for the forum? I've outlined a plan in this thread http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1601

We could work out a variation on the plan to avoid having to ship the speakers back and forth between the US and Spain. Air shipping to España would cost about $200, but you would still get a great bargain. The only hitch might be the VAT. I haven't shipped to Spain, so I'm not sure how much it is. I know 15% is the EU minimum.

If you can't soffit mount, then a kit is still a great way to get a lot of speaker for less money.

Thomas
Thomas Barefoot
Barefoot Sound