Making your own doors...

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

Riad

Making your own doors...

Post by Riad »

Can I make my doors out of 3 sheets of 3/4" MDF glued together? That's one heavy door...
mcguin

Post by mcguin »

hi there
just starting on my doors - using 1 3/4 solid core exterior door - 1/8 sheet lead and 3/4 mdf on each side -
i'll post resuts when done
dan
Riad

Post by Riad »

Thanks Dan,

Can you tell me where you bought the door and how much everything costs..

Thanks!

Rob
mcguin

Post by mcguin »

hi Rob - the doors were $50, the MDF was $16 per sheet and the lead was about $200 per door - the doors and MDF are pretty common at any building material place - the lead i had to look for - best price and great service was at VULCAN Lead in Wisconsin.
When i am done this project i will do a complete report with costs if there is any interest - the project is for 700 sq feet in a commercial builing - live room, drum room, small iso booth, control room, lobby and small office area - all walls are double walls (at least 20 inches total thickness) double laminated glass (1 1/16 and 13/16 thick) - doors as described and seals by ZERO.
more later

dan
VintageAudio

Studio Construction

Post by VintageAudio »

I for one would be very interested in your opinion of the Zero acoustic door seals, and I would also like to know where they are sold what price they generally sell for (were these model 770?), as I cannot find a local source.

By the way, what materials/layers were your 20" thick double framed walls comprised of, and are they all isolated off of a newly floated floor?

Ron
mcguin

Post by mcguin »

hi Ron
check out zerointernational.com - their phone number is 718-585-3230 - ask for Steve - real good guy! - their products are sold by others on the net, but the best pricing i found was directly from ZERO - and you can't beat Steve for service, info etc. - using their best seals, saddles and drop down door bottom seal it ran about $350 per door

my walls are 2X4 wood studs on concrete - RC on both walls (i know???) - then 5/8, 1/2,5/8 drywall - on the common control room wall with the drum room and the live room i added an extra 5/8 drywall on the tracking room side (making four layers of drywall on those walls) - the entire cavity between the framing is filled with R19 pink glass (fluffy) - the drywall is resting on 3/4 neoprene - all seems were heavily caulked, joints staggered - the ceiling is also the same drywall - 5/8,1/2,5/8 hung from RS1C clips hung from the tube trussing -

all exterior walls, floor and roof of the building is concrete - i am on the 3rd floor so well removed from street level

i did not float floors - starting to secondt guess that now, but didn't feel i could loose any more headroom - my ceiling will be suspended 703 with a 2 or 3 inch airspace - i'll find out soon enough whether i messed up on the non floated floors!

dan
Riad

Post by Riad »

zero international isn't far from my house so that's good... I'll give Steve a call today.

Did you buy the hinges from them too? And did you look at their Sound Sheet product - like what you are using the lead for?
Riad

Post by Riad »

I called Zero and ordered the works... BTW, the hinges are $75/each! 3 hinges per door - well you get the idea. I skipped the hinges. I did get the Sound Sheet which was about $200 and is 3.5lbs/ft instead of using lead.

So I have to buy the door now and the MDF to sandwich the Sound Sheet, hinges and door handles... no problem.

What about a locking system? I don't want to use a standard lock and drill through my doors - any suggestions?

Rob
mcguin

Post by mcguin »

hi Rob - i questioned steve on the $75 cam hinges too and ended up with heavy duty stainless hinges (non- cam type) for a lot less - while not as good as the cam hinges, with the drop down bottom he assures me they will work fine

dan
Aaronw

Post by Aaronw »

I posted this another thread, but I ran across this site for locks...

http://www.kriegerproducts.com/acoustic ... _locks.php
Riad

Post by Riad »

mcguin wrote:hi Rob - i questioned steve on the $75 cam hinges too and ended up with heavy duty stainless hinges (non- cam type) for a lot less - while not as good as the cam hinges, with the drop down bottom he assures me they will work fine

dan
Yeah that's my idea too!! I can't believe my doors are going to cost more than the sheetrock... but I'm so close I can hear the bad music ;)