Convert in-wall wiring to surface conduit wiring.

What is three phase electrics? how do I wire a patchbay? ask all your techo questions here.

Moderator: Aaronw

tarnationsauce

Convert in-wall wiring to surface conduit wiring.

Post by tarnationsauce »

If I want to convert my garage from it's existing in-wall wiring to surface conduit wiring it it OK to disconnect from service pannel and outlets / light switches / etc. and seal in the old boxes.

Just cut off the wire and/or cap them off? Since the wire is not live I am not sure if this would be a problem or against code.

I know an unused live wire or splice should never be sealed in the wall without service access (ie plate).
gullfo

Re: Convert in-wall wiring to surface conduit wiring.

Post by gullfo »

why would you do this? unless you're building out the walls for more isolation and in which case you're likely pulling off the old drywall and beefing up etc before putting on a new layer. that said, check with your local building inspector on the options.
Glenn
deedz

Post by deedz »

disconnect from the panel entirely so it cant be turned on
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

... as Glenn said: Check your local building code to find out what is required in your area. Don't put too much trust into anonymous "advice", from unknown people in unknown locations, that you find on the internet when it comes to safety and regulations. You might be fine with just disconnecting the wiring at both ends, and you might not. Check with your local qualified experts.

- Stuart -
waleed020

Post by waleed020 »

I am going to have an electrician into the house to deal with some kitchen problems. The whole house is ungrounded (as are most older homes), and as far as I know, so is the large room in the basement I'm going to use for a studio.

[MODERATOR COMMENT: PLAGIARISM SPAMMER: PLAGIARIZED FROM HERE: http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewt ... ent#p80840": SOON TO BE BLOCKED, BANNED AND DELETED...]