Humidity controlling air conditioner and fresh air

Plans and things, layout, style, where do I put my near-fields etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

Soundman2020
Site Admin

Re: Humidity controlling air conditioner and fresh air

Post by Soundman2020 »

Hi Martin, and welcome to the forum! :)

Yes, if you have valuable acoustic instruments then you really should control the humidity and temperature carefully. Not only can it potentially cause damage, but the tone can change on some instruments as the wood expands/contracts. So it makes a lot of sense to install air conditioning, and monitor the humidity.

- Stuart -
Martin1337

Post by Martin1337 »

Hey stuart,

thanks for the reply and reassurance.

Guess I have to start a building project soon. ;)

This forum seems like a great place to get valuable information. I'm sure I can learn a lot here. :)
farman

Post by farman »

Hello There!
It looks like a good post.Its great that I have the same Idea so that I want to say That I totally agree with you....well done

[SPAM SIGNATURE REMOVED BY MODERATOR - SPAMMER WARNED]
krisg

Post by krisg »

Another interested party here. So what is the latest info on this? What would the Forum advise on the A/C system?
Do you use split systems or something with a central unit that pumps the air through some acoustic traps to reduce noise?
Music is movement in stillness.
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

What would the Forum advise on the A/C system?
Do you use split systems or something with a central unit that pumps the air through some acoustic traps to reduce noise?
Either way will work, provided that you do all the necessary calculations to determine which unit you need, what size ducts you need, flow rate, flow velocity, sensible heat, latent heat, etc.

For single-room studios I usually use a mini-split plus a duct system for the fresh air inlet/stale air exhaust (with the Ururu unit in a small room you only need exhaust), but for larger facilities with three or more rooms I tend to go with a central AHU plus plenums, ducting, variable dampers and a system controller. The two-room studio can go either way.

But regardless of whether you decide to go split or AHU, you still need the ducting and silencer boxes. You can't avoid that.

- Stuart -
5meohd

Post by 5meohd »

Is the sarara sold in the USA? How about a comparable model?
chayydtayloor

Post by chayydtayloor »

John Sayers wrote:At last a split system that works for studios :thu:

http://www.daikin.com/global_ac/product ... ideos.html
John thanks for the link, Did you buy from this site? Any Split system which you will prefer I should go for?

Regards

[SPAM SIGNATURE REMOVED BY MODERATOR]
Guit-picker

Post by Guit-picker »

Now that five years has gone by since this post started... and now the link doesn't go there any more, is there a "favorite" multi-split system that has risen as a "shining star", so to speak? I can't find a model number of the original post. I know it is made by Daikin.
There are 10 kinds of people ..... those who understand binary and those who don't.
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

Guit-picker wrote:Now that five years has gone by since this post started... and now the link doesn't go there any more, is there a "favorite" multi-split system that has risen as a "shining star", so to speak? I can't find a model number of the original post. I know it is made by Daikin.
2 minutes on google:

http://www.daikin.com.my/products/urusara7/

http://coolworldaircon.com.sg/daikin-aircon-urusara-7/

http://www.daikin.co.id/products/reside ... index.html

:)

That looks like the one John was talking about.

- Stuart -
Guit-picker

Post by Guit-picker »

Thanks, Stuart,
I'll check into this unit as we are getting to the point where we need to decide soon.

By the way, I sent you a couple of PMs but haven't heard a reply after an earlier one got messed up and caused confusion. Are they getting through?

-Ron
There are 10 kinds of people ..... those who understand binary and those who don't.
monaliza23

Post by monaliza23 »

it is look really good
[SPAM SIGNATURE REMOVED BY MODERATOR]
[A PRETTY LOUSY AND VERY CHILDISH ATTEMPT IT WAS, TOO]
miimii2

Post by miimii2 »

After so many years, the air-conditioner brands are somewhat all the same such as the well-known Daikin and Mitsubishi. However, there are of course new technologies such as mobile APP integrated on all these air-conditioner especially the [SPAM REMOVED] series. From [ SPAM LINK REMOVED ], i saw many different air-conditioning brands such as Daikin, Mitsubishi Electric, Panasonic, Toshiba, Samsung, Fujitsu, Carrier, Sanyo, McQuay and many more. Not only that, it shows the features and technology for each different air-conditioner brand. FYI, different models have different features too, hence, choose the right type of air-conditioning system wisely for your home.
hear-this

Post by hear-this »

I need to figure out an HVAC solution for a small studio I'm building in the middle of a warehouse (on the 3rd of 6 stories). See the following drawing for the current design (note 12' ceilings):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pzv282ewgkly4 ... A.pdf?dl=0

I have a friend who will install, but our budget for HVAC materials is currently very low ($2000...I know :| ). We might have more to spend in 6-12 months, so perhaps there's a way to do this in phases?

Any suggestions?

EDIT: I've read the FAQ's, the forum rules, and 'Build It Like The Pros' book. I generally know about my options, but most of them are outside our current budget. So I'm hoping some of you can help me think of something clever. :wink:
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

I need to figure out an HVAC solution for a small studio I'm building in the middle of a warehouse (on the 3rd of 6 stories)
For a project that big, you should probably start your own thread, rather than tag onto the end of this one.
See the following drawing for the current design (note 12' ceilings):
I'm not sure I understand your nomenclature: When you say "Edit Room", are you referring to the control room, or to something else? When you say "Recording booth", are you talking about something like an isolation booth, or vocal booth, or did you have something else in mind? And when you talk about "Main Studio", are you referring to the tracking room / live room, or is it something else?

Assuming your "edit room" is actually the control room, then having it both 12' long and 12' high is a bad idea. Do some research on room ratios, modal spread, Bonello charts, and suchlike. You should fix that before you think about adding any HVAC.
I have a friend who will install, but our budget for HVAC materials is currently very low ($2000...I know
Ummmm.... it's not only low, it is totally unrealistic. You have three rooms in there, totaling 700 square feet of floor area, and well over 8000 cubic feet of volume. You will need either three different mini-split systems, probably with capacities of something like 9,000 BTU/hr, 12,000 BTU/Hr and 36,000 BTU/Hr, and that's without even considering the ventilation! Each of those will cost a couple of grand, and antoher several hundred for installation....

Your only other option would be a single AHU with multi-zone capability, or with a multi-zone system controller and electrically operated VAVs... but that would likely increase your cost even more.
We might have more to spend in 6-12 months, so perhaps there's a way to do this in phases?
Assuming that you don't need to use the other two rooms at present, you could start with just one of them now, but even then I doubt that 2k is going to cover it. For example, if all you need to do is to mix stuff that has been tracked elsewhere, then just put a single mini-split in the control room, and build the set of four silencer boxes that you will need for that, then add the ducts and fan. But that's going to be over 2k, I would expect.
I generally know about my options, but most of them are outside our current budget.
Then take the hint! If all of the options that you can find are beyond your budget, then it's pretty obvious that the problem is your budget! :)

Multiply by five, and you are probably in the ball-park.

But before you buy anything, you first need to do the math. You need to know how much air you will need to move in each room (flow volume and flow rate), and how fast you can move it (flow velocity), in order to figure out the sizes of your ducts. Based on that, you can figure out the sizes of your silencer boxes. Based on that, you can figure out the static pressure. Based on that you can figure out what fan you need to move the correct amount of air at the correct speed when facing that static pressure. Then you also need to figure out the latent heat load and the sensible heat load for each room under all circumstances, from zero occupancy to full occupancy, from no gear turned on through to all gear turned up to 11, and for the coldest day in mid-winter though to the hottest day in mid summer. Based on all of that, you can correctly dimension the actual mini-split for each room (or the central AHU, if you go that route).

You cannot decide on the equipment, ducts, silencers or fans until you have all of that worked out in detail. If you did then you'd be guessing, and guessing is never a good way to design a studio.

- Stuart -
hear-this

Post by hear-this »

Yea, I figured that was the case. Ok, I'll go back to the drawing board and start a new thread after we settle on a new direction.

Thanks for the reply Soundman2020!