brick veneer STC rating

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

telefunken

brick veneer STC rating

Post by telefunken »

i was looking over the recording manual section and i came across the STC rating of brick veneer.

the drawing itself isn't quite clear.

in my basement studio i plan on dividing the 2 tracking rooms by only 1 wall. on the outer wall, it will be 1 layer of 5/8" sheet rock + 1/2" brick veneer, inner wall will be 2 layers of 5/8" sheetrock, as long as the wall can support all that weight.

what can i expect the STC rating of this wall to be?
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

I could get fairly close if you were to include things like what type wall frame, the total air gap including insulation, whether Resilient channel will be used, or single, staggered, or double stud frame, stud spacing, window glass thicknesses and distance apart, etc - otherwise, best I can do is probably better than STC 10 and worse than STC 55 (with window) and worse than STC 60 (no window)

With more details, I'd be glad to get closer... Steve
dymaxian

Post by dymaxian »

If you have 1/2" brick veneer, then chances are it's some kind of prefabricated material that is meant to look like brick. Any STC ratings you find for brick aren't going to apply to that- when I think of brick veneer, it means a 4" thick course of brick that is non-structural. The veneer part doesn't mean that it's thinner...

But anyway, the manufacturer might have STC ratings. If you can figure out who made it, ask them about it.

Kase
www.minemusic.net
Kase
www.minemusic.net

"to hell with the CD sales! Download the MP3s and come to the shows!"