New Studio in Turbenthal

Plans and things, layout, style, where do I put my near-fields etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

BriHar

New Studio in Turbenthal

Post by BriHar »

Hello to all in this very instructional, most exemplary forum.
A virtual treasure trove of information, ideas and technique here!

I guess it's about time I introduced myself, having been lurking about for a few weeks now.
I'm a Canadian who is living for the past 20 years or so in Switzerland.

Until recently we (my wife and 2 sons) were living in a house in Winterthur (Kanton of Zürich). Once my son's finally moved out into their own places, I managed to secure one of the rooms in our apartment for use as a Project studio. The other apartments in the house were being used as offices for various businesses so in the evenings and weekends there was really no one in the house to be disturbed (well, apart from the wife LOL). I was able therefore to get away with just a bit of treatment and didn't worry too much about isolation - the room was basically a sieve.
The imaging at the desk however was excellent and the frequency response was very good and acceptably flat - well most of the energy was leaving the room anyway and the rest was well taken care of with several broadband absorbers and assorted panels.

Well, the building was sold end of the year to a company who decided they wanted to use the remainder of the house (our apartment) for offices - so we had to move. We've now bought a condominium and are waiting 'til next June when it should be finished, and we can move in.

The new house (in Turbenthal, Zürich) is being built to Minergy standards (exact Minergy rating will be applied once the building is complete), heating is in the floors and supplied by district heating (across the street) in the form of wood pellet. All windows are triple pane, and the structure is amply insulated (for heat anyway). The apartments are virtually airtight and air circulation is independent for each apartment (11 in total), and fresh air over heat exchangers.

Here is a picture of my Studio as it was before we had to move.

Attachment:

Studio Winterthur.jpg [ 53.32 KiB | Viewed 8 times ]
Studio Winterthur.jpg

In addition to our apartment, I've purchased a cellar room which I intend to use as my new Project studio. Although far from ideal in size 5m x 3m x 2.5m, I'm going to give it a go.

So I will continue from here with a new thread in the Design Forum where we can get into the specifics.

TFN
Brian
Brian
As you slide down the bannister of life, may the splinters never point the wrong way...
gullfo

Re: New Studio in Turbenthal

Post by gullfo »

Welcome! sorry to hear you lost your previous space but hopefully your new one will become a space as nice!
Glenn
BriHar

Post by BriHar »

Thanks Glenn,

Just getting to terms with Sketchup, then I'll have something for a design thread.
Brian
As you slide down the bannister of life, may the splinters never point the wrong way...
BriHar

Post by BriHar »

My original thread in the Wombat Topic area has since been moved here so I will continue my studio specifics in this thread…

The studio will be located in Turbenthal in the Tösstal valley not far from Winterthur in the canton of Zürich, Switzerland.

Goal:
I enjoy recording and mixing more as a hobby for myself. Most instruments are recorded direct using softsynths, an old analogue PAIA synth, digital drums and a Variax guitar over POD XTLive and Roland GR-20 Guitar synth. Only vocals and the odd shaker etc. will be recorded acoustically. My son’s may also from time to time mix here. I don’t anticipate amplifiers but not emphatically ruled out.

Loudness:
Generally 65 – 85dB sometimes louder but oft times dimmed.

Style:
Progressive rock, pop, (I’m not into all the labels) pretty much anything that comes out.

Budget:
I’m expecting to lay out a few thousand Sfr (about par with the Canadian dollar). I haven’t really set a limit, but if it goes much over, I might need to postpone some of the “like to have” things, and just concentrate on the “need to have”.

Project Stand:
(Existing Structural details and important restrictions and considerations)
The house is still being built.
The studio will be in a basement room with a small antechamber or storage room. There is a single door and no windows.
Room dimensions are L: 5.02 m, W: 2.82 m, H: 2.4 m
Not exactly Ideal, but that’s what I’ve got to work with, so I’m not going to worry too much about ratios.

The floor is 250mm reinforced poured concrete, under that there is a 140mm thermal insulation layer. (Possibly there is a 30mm hard concrete layer on the top surface – not sure, if important I can find out, my brother in law is the structural engineer for this project)

The front (South) wall (i.e. opposite wall to the room entrance) is also 250mm reinforced concrete (inner leaf) then 60mm Glass wool insulation, then 114mm brick wall as an outer leaf. On the other side of this wall is the garage or park hall.

The right wall is 150mm Brick, and the remaining walls are 120mm Brick. All brick walls have a neoprene strip underlay. There are similar “hobby rooms” and cellars on either side.

The ceiling is 250mm reinforced concrete to which 80mm dressed, rigid glass wool panels have been affixed for general reverberation control (this is applied throughout the entire cellar i.e. all rooms). Above this there is a 20mm layer of thermal insulation (kind of like styroboard with aluminium foil on each side) then a 20mm acoustic insulation layer (footstep), PE Foil (vapour barrier?) then 80mm cement poured over the heating pipes (floor heating), finally a 10mm layer of fine cement (screed?), then either parquet or ceramic tiling. This is then the floor of an apartment above.

There are a number of pipes on the ceiling toward the rear of the room, as well as a floor to ceiling drainpipe against the rear wall, plus there is an air duct below the ceiling at the front wall.

Overview:
No intention of making a room in a room, the floor should be adequate; the front wall is already a 2 leaf structure as is in principle the ceiling. Only the right, left and rear walls should require improved isolation.

I really want to do some dB level tests but they haven’t finished blocking the pipe through-holes, nor are there any doors installed yet.

My intention is to construct “Inside out” walls on the left, right and rear walls using 2 sheets of 16mm Drywall. This will give space for the abundant treatment I’m going to need.

The ventilation duct I shall insulate (shroud) and soffit. Within the soffit I will construct or purchase and mount a silencer which will also direct the ventilation to the front middle of said soffit. I’m considering extending a step from this soffit to house 3 or 4 LED downlight spots over the desk.
I still don’t know for sure, but I believe this is an exhaust vent. I haven’t seen any fans yet, perhaps they will be external to the building. These hobby rooms are not heated! I’m given to understand that the fresh air is supplied by a similar, supply duct in the anteroom – the air then passes through a vent in the door. This will probably require some kind of specialized silencer on the door. There is a wash basin with cold water tap available in the anteroom which may come in handy if I need some kind of AC eventually.

I will also have to soffit a drain pipe running vertically at the rear wall (don’t want any flushing sounds getting into my recordings – then again it could be a trademark sound :D . I’m thinking also to soffit the piping on the ceiling, again with downlight spots over the couch position built into the soffit. The majority of this soffit will be soft i.e. acoustical treatment supplementary to that already on the ceiling.

The floor I intend to finish with laminated flooring.

I’ve had this room put on a separate circuit breaker, The lights should be on the same breaker as the small anteroom. Additionally I’ve had them provide a separate grounding terminal. I understand that the reinforcement in the concrete is also grounded, and the cellar is a very effective faraday cage.
Additionally I’ve had 2 Automation cables (CAT5e) run from the apartment on the 2nd floor to this room to provide Internet and telephone access.
hall3.jpg
Studio Turbenthal 1.jpg
Studio Turbenthal 1 pp.jpg
IMG_1129r.jpg
IMG_1145r.jpg
IMG_1154r.jpg
IMG_1170r.jpg
IMG_1149r.jpg
Brian
BriHar

Post by BriHar »

First question,

Is it recommended to apply some sort of brushed on sealer?

Is this applied to the concrete walls, floor and/ or just the brick walls?

What is recommended to use for this?

And finally, does this bring a noticeable improvement in isolation or is the idea to make the wall less absorptive acoustically, or is it only a measure taken against moisture?
Brian
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

mostly sealing the block and concrete is to control moisture or if you're finishing the floor (stain and polish) the sealant will help keep it looking good.
Glenn
BriHar

Post by BriHar »

Thanks Glenn,

I thought I had read somewhere on the forum that a slight iimprovement in STC can be achieved by sealing the bricks. Perhaps the term sealing was misleading. The proper terminology appears to be rendering which seems to refer simply to painting.

I just did a search and found http://johnlsayers.com/Recmanual/Pages/STC%20Chart.htm

and http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewt ... all#p97273

So really the question remains, Would painting just the one side of the wall add any effectiveness, as I have no control over what they do to the other side of the wall.

Seems though somewhere I read somewhere here that it was bad to paint both sides...
Brian
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

i think painting it shouldn't be an issue, overall you want to make sure they are thoroughly sealed in terms of air gaps and such so a light plaster coat, caulking, etc etc to patch, seal, and seal more would be the idea. since you cannot do anything about the neighbor you have to do what you can on your side to control the isolation including decoupling your inner isolation walls from the dividing wall.
Glenn
BriHar

Post by BriHar »

OK, then that's what I'll do. They have a product here called dispersion, I'll check that out, otherwise maybe just a very fluid plaster mix.

I’ve been at odds with the wall construction tool in Sketchup, it seems to me it doesn’t work well in metric. I wanted it to give me 62cm OC spacing between studs, as the insulation is 600mm x 1200mm, but it ended up much wider spacing.

Just wondering, what you guys do when drawing these walls. Do you draw them in situ, or off to the side of the main drawing, or in a separate drawing.
Do you use the tool to draw the initial wall then explode it into it’s separate pieces (2x4s) so you can customize sections or do you edit it in the group?
What about adding cross pieces and other members?

There seems to be no way of cutting a member to size, you can only scale the length which can be tricky sometimes. Using the intersect seems complicated in this respect and with groups/component even more so. I thought of making a “Blade” a couple mm thick to represent a saw cut (includes blade loss) and intersecting this with the component to be cut – but the procedure seems complicated or eludes me at present.

I made a component of a standard drywall sheet and rigid insulation sheet, plus a 2X4 according to the standard length sold so I can count later how many sheets and how much lumber I will need. My idea was to be able to cut the members from the raw material components and keep the leftover pieces in a pile off to the side – more like the real world.

All in all I must say, it’s probably easier to get to grips with Sketchup having no background in CAD. I am trained in CAD (Medusa, AutoCAD, Caddy3D) and it’s difficult to get away from preconceived notions of how something should work.

Unfortunately I’m learning these things in my studio model and have inadvertently lost surfaces, distorted objects by moving - just lately I thought I’d shorten the wall by scaling so now the members in that plane are no longer 2x4s. Probably best to begin again.
Brian
BriHar

Post by BriHar »

Just installed a ruby Script called OSCoolean which does the Boolean functions as in the Pro version – unfortunately it doesn’t work on dynamic components like the walls (even if you explode them). I’ll have to fool around with it a bit, but this is probably exactly what I'm looking for.
Brian
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

housebuilder scripts work really well if you stick with the normal settings 600mm 400mm etc etc if you start trying to adjust then things tend to get a bit off. i tend to use the scripts for quick framing and then once i've settled the opening etc, i manually adjust the innards. if you try to edit them using the scripts after that they reset... then anything intricate i do by hand like complex angled soffits etc
Glenn
BriHar

Post by BriHar »

I may have to build the walls in sketchup from scratch as I’m not sure that 2x4 here is really 50x100, plus I need to know the optimum lengths to order.
---------------------
I’ve mentioned that the brick walls are under-laid with a neoprene (or something similar) strip.
Q1. Should the inside out isolation walls I put up be similarly isolated? I’m assuming yes.
What thickness (assuming I/O walls using 2x4 studs and 2x16mm gyproc).

I don’t foresee any danger of moisture and do intend to monitor and if necessary, control humidity.
Q2. Should the wood in these walls be pressure treated or impregnated? If so, does this apply only to the base/footer of the wall?

Q3. What is best used to anchor the wall to the floor -
Heavy screws into plastic anchors hammered into predrilled holes in the concrete?
Or heavy bolts into metal threaded expansion anchors hammered into predrilled holes?

Q4. It seems to be recommended to use a rubber washer under the head of the bolts/screws. What about drilling oversized holes in the wood and inserting flexible plastic tubing (like that sold for fish tanks) the inside diameter of tubing larger than thread diameter?

Q5. Should the holes in the wood be a tad oversized anyway to minimize mechanical connection to the bolts?

Q6. What would be the recommended spacing of these anchor bolts? Mid point between each stud or every other stud?
Brian
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

yes, decoupled the inner isolation walls as well. check your moisture carefully and fix it first. pressure treated lumber will only solve the problem for the lumber, not the rest of the construction. anchors could be either type but yes, isolate them from the frame using soft rubber under the washer and around the shank (which presumes an over-sized hole to fit). spacing will be dependent on building codes. same approach if anchoring the wall above. also consider isolating stabilization brackets (like Mason Industry WIC) to ensure the inner structure is supported correctly.

on the dimensional lumber - 50x100 is often 45x89 in practice to accommodate the drywall (12mm). just like a 2x4 is really 1.5x3.5 to accommodate 1/2" drywall... and for housebuilder-metric script, changing it to true sizes causes all kinds of errors because of rounding etc which i have yet to fix on my customized version...
Glenn
BriHar

Post by BriHar »

Yes I know only too well that the dimensions of lumber, depending on the grade and finish, diminish in their dimensions. I have noticed though that this is not necessarily the case here in CH, I've bought finished lumber that is bang on. As I said I'm going to have to check what they have on offer at a local lumberyard or 'bauzentrum'.

As for the moisture, the building is now still in the drying phase, so I'll have to wait.

In consideration of the logistics of assembling these I/O walls and the available floor space, it appears I’m going to have to construct the walls as modular sections (2 or 3 /wall) and bolt them together. I am encouraged to read that John Sayers has also on occasion (Somewhere Studio) used a modular technique.

Q. Would there be any advantage, or is it more work than necessary to route dados or bevels along the edges of the studs to be joined in order to provide a channel for the caulking?

Remember too that it will be impossible to mud and seal the gyproc on the other side!

The channel shown in the drawing is probably wider than necessary. I think the resultant channel (formed by the two studs) should be 10mm deep and 5mm wide (dado 2.5x10) perhaps a bevel would be easier resulting in a V channel.
Also, perhaps the channel should continue on the face of the header and footer elements. Assumed too is that a “squiggle” of caulking is to be applied to the mating faces of the wall modules to create a seal when they are bolted together.
dadojoin.jpg
Brian
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

The bolt together approach is good. One option to help seal things is to use double sided thin foam tape and caulk. The routing would seem a bit much.
Glenn