Soffit mounting Krk rp8 gen 2

Forum for all aspects of speakers and speaker design.

Moderator: Aaronw

PandPstudios

Soffit mounting Krk rp8 gen 2

Post by PandPstudios »

Greetings,
First of all I wan't to mention that I know that there a several topics asking for similar things. But I haven't found on any of them a direct answer. Can and should I soffit mount the Krk Rp8 Gen2. They have the port at the front but only have on the back a HF adjust knob. And in the manual y haven't found the frecuency it affects. Also the most improtant aspect of these speakers is the shape. They are "rounded" what I mean is that the corners arent really "corners" and that the overall Front face isn't flat. (a picture says more than a thousand words:

Please Help me take the decision to soffit mount them or not. I have several ideas to deal with the curved surface, but i wan't to know if i should even bother with doing this. has anyone did this before?

Thanks
gullfo

Re: Soffit mounting Krk rp8 gen 2

Post by gullfo »

you can soffit mount them. use a strap behind them when you load them in so you can pull them out to adjust controls if needed but try to set to neutral position on the controls. the front is a challenge but you could route edges of the fascia plate to match with 2mm and then seal. similar to what has been done for the ADAM monitors etc. another option is to have the front extend very slightly <5mm and just seal around it. i would go with taking the time to make the fascia plates fit. see this studio John has designed which route out the plate to fit the A2.5. http://www.johnlsayers.com/Studio/Pages/Somewhere.htm
Glenn
PandPstudios

Post by PandPstudios »

Thanks for the quick answer.
So should I bother to do this? would my Overall sound response Of these improve (assuming I have the rest of the room well treated). And one question, what did you mean by fascia plates?
PandPstudios

Post by PandPstudios »

sorry to bump on this, but i need a very "direct" answer is this really going to improve the response of the monitors?. Should I bother? I don't want to build it just to notice i was better without it.
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

sorry to bump on this, but i need a very "direct" answer is this really going to improve the response of the monitors?.
Yes! Absolutely.
Should I bother? I don't want to build it just to notice i was better without it.
I would build it, for sure. Soffits make a major difference not only to response but also clarity, focus, imaging. (And they look, cool, too!). The only issue is how to roll off the bass if the speaker doesn't have a control for that: I'd suggest using a parametric equalizer.

IMHO

- Stuart -
PandPstudios

Post by PandPstudios »

Thanks for answering! I thought no one would bother after so many days.
Yeah, there's no problem with building the EQ, for I have some electronics experience.

Well then, soffit it will be :)
PandPstudios

Post by PandPstudios »

Soundman2020 wrote:
I'd suggest using a parametric equalizer.

I was looking for some parametric equalizers and did notice that most of them aren't that expensive, could you please recommend me one? (I'm scared of buying behringer stuff because of all the thinks you hear about them)
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

DIY http://www.gyraf.dk/gy_pd/calreq/calrec.htm or check out Barefoot's EQ circuit for dealing with the +6db increase on the soffit mounting http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewt ... f=12&t=766. FWIW, i use a Behringer CX2310 crossover and it works for me. http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/CX2310.aspx
Glenn
PandPstudios

Post by PandPstudios »

I checked barefoot's design, and want to go with that one, but i can't see the image in correct resolution (the balanced one) could any of you please upload it so I can see the values.

thanks
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

Glenn
PandPstudios

Post by PandPstudios »

but that one is the unbalanced one isn't it? I need the balanced