Vocal Booth in Lisbon

Plans and things, layout, style, where do I put my near-fields etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

gullfo

Re: Vocal Booth in Lisbon

Post by gullfo »

If you do need pro assistance on site, Andre Brito (a member of this site) is in Portugal and is very knowledgable.
Glenn
jazzinho

Post by jazzinho »

Hello, all you eager studio builders, I'm sure you can't wait hearing about my progresses... (not)...

I have been busy with earning a living and taking care of my family, so the pace slowed down... nowadays when work comes you way, you take it..

I have assembled the structure and that's how it looks now:

I purchased two doors from Leroy Merlin ( a depot type, DIY superstore) that I cut to size. I will line them with carpet on both side and sound proof the frame with a rubber type foam:

I have made these windows, with my little hands (which I am rather proud of):

Here is the Sketchup and I attach the file:

I was given for free a pair of double glazing (5/5 +10+10). That is 5 mils, +5 mil with a laminated, 10 mils of space, 1 10 mils pane.. The MF weights a freaking ton... this is a complete overkill, but the guy who offered them to me left me no choice.. This means I have 40 mm of glass...

Hopefully, next week, I will fit a few stiffening battens, to "triangulate" the structure, so it does not move and the start of fitting the two layers of 13 mm plasterboard.

I have used green glue between the wooden frame and the plasterboard.
To my surprise it take a month to cure and it is a pretty dodgy and gooey stuff. But it sure does the job... I will use this as well for the house I rebuilding on the seaside. I have done the beams and joists, and will use green glue to make sure no squeaking noises go through...

To do all these, Santa was kind enough to buy me a Festool work bench and radial saw:

Well, what can I say... can't live without it now... Festool is the bees knees... I love this gear...

You can see all the pics there: https://picasaweb.google.com/stefchalan ... directlink

OK... license to chill, get myself a really cold beer..

Talk later !
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

I have used green glue between the wooden frame and the plasterboard.
Why? That is not what it is designed for, and it doesn't seem to be doing anything useful there, except maybe sealing the joint. But you could have sealed it much cheaper with ordinary caulk! What is the intention of using GG in the joints?

- Stuart -
jazzinho

Post by jazzinho »

OK... will save my green glue for the plasterboard... thanks. S
jazzinho

Post by jazzinho »

Re: Andre Brito.

Thanks, but the reason I do it myself is to save the cost of a pro.... No doubt Andre is good, but I have made contact with him, and the price of his Green Glue is 30% higher than the one I bought on the web shipping from the UK... so I clearly cannot afford his services... besides, I am quite sure that for what I want to achieve I am doing rather well. :D
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

I am quite sure that for what I want to achieve I am doing rather well.
... except maybe for using Green Glue for a purpose for which it was not designed... :)

- Stuart -
jazzinho

Post by jazzinho »

Most people follow the rules, I like to break them :evil: